Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is 9mos, never much loved tummy time, but he could hold his head up around 4 mos w/panache (oh that smile just melts my heart
). He learned to roll about then, and from tum to back a little bit after, maybe 5 or 5.5 mos? He sat reliably around 6.5 or 7 mos. I'm not *worried* per sey, but noticing that he isn't progressing much.

What he doesn't do is:

*cross his midline much (clap)
*get onto all fours ever (let alone crawl)
*pull up unless it's holding onto my hands, never from furniture
*go for stuff that is out of range of his comfortable sit
*respond to asl at all (what am I doing, learning all this!? Kid does NOT respond to any of it)
*respond to his name

What he does do is:

*cross his midline passing objects (esp. food!) from hand to hand
*play very normally w/objects (push, pull, taste etc.)
*observe well, track well
*have interest in new things
*enjoy new things, people, places
*eat solid food pretty well and with mucho gusto
*play w/food
*respond to some verbal cues such as "gentle"
*poop/pee in the potty (when I remember LOL)
*respond immediately to my voice or presence (crying at end of nap, I enter room and he quites right down and coos).

So...whaddya think? Do I look into OT or wait it out or what? My dd was SO fast at so much of this stuff (rolled at 4 mos, crawled at 6 mos, walked at 9 mos) that this seems abnormally slow to me. In 2 weeks he'll be 10 mos old and has no intention of moving. Ever, it seems. I think that the ec books (early childhood, not elim. comm) set the normal range for crawling to 10 mos. any thoughts???

edited to add that I don't think he has much in the way of upper body strength. also he's kinds small - 29" 15+ lbs (last wbv he was 14.13 abd that was about 6 wks ago); dd was too, so I didn't think it mattered, but maybe...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
He certainly sounds within normal range... but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be worried either. Looking back, I was a mess that Joey
would never talk and Zach was really late to roll over and the doctor did think we might need some OT but I waited a few months and now all is well. You might start looking into services, call and see how hard they are to get and my guess is that before you decide if you want it, things will start to change. I think it is really all about you. If you are distracted with that nagging worry, do something. Too many moms ignore their instincts and lose precious time. If it is nothing, what have you lost?

·
Registered
842 Posts
He sounds ok to me. Pretty laidback, perhaps lacking motivation. Some of the things you said he can't do sound a bit much for a 9 month old, and Ben was early on almost everything. What does the ped think? Did he review his developmental milestones at the well visit? I agree that if it's bothering you, it's best to look into getting him evaluated just to be sure. Don't tear yourself up over it. 2nd kids are not the same as first kids, and it is very hard not to compare.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mamas... I did the wbc at 7 mos (no vax schedule here), so the things he wasn't doing (crawling clapping etc.) seemed WELL w/in normal range at that point. Now 2.5 mos later I did expect to see some progress and haven't. I think I'll just look into stuff and yeah, see how hard it is to get into/how long it would take kind of thing. Hopefully he'll do a spurt soon

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
what about baby chiropractic and craniosacral therapy? i think that helped our son quite a bit with this strength and development.

our son's developmental timeline:

rolling over unintentionally at 2 months
playing with hands/toys/feet at around 4 months
rolling over intentionally at 5 months
sitting up unassisted reliably at around 6.5 months
tolerated tummy time better at 7 months
spinning and sliding backwards while on his tummy at age 8 months
pattern crawling at 9 months (after about one month of spinning/sliding backwards)
self-feeding at 9 months (started literally one day after the first crawling step)
signing "more" and "milk" at age 11 months
cruising along furniture at age 11.5 months
walking while holding our hands at age 12 months
walking independently at age 13 months
signing about 10 signs regularly at age 14 months
climbing steps in crawling position at age 15 months
currently has a signing vocab of over 30 signs at age 17 months

i would watch it but probably not get overly concerned at this point. still well within the range of normal. i've noticed there are a lot of early crawlers/walkers that get posted about here at mdc and they are generally an exception. as for the signing stuff, i believe the average age of a babe initiating a sign back to another person is age 14 months, so you're still really early! we started signing when our son was age 7 months and he FINALLy duplicated 2 signs back at age 11 months. in the past month, his signing vocab has more than doubled. sometimes we show him a sign 3 times and he duplicates it back to us! amazing! he's also started making up his own signs, like brush your hair and hat and jacket.

~claudia

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
If you are concerned you can always call early intervention for a free in-home eval.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.