Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped doing well baby visits. I do not like my dd Ped. at all and don't plan on vaxing her for right now and I heard the nearest Ped. that is okay w/ no vaxing is a couple of hrs away. So, should I just try to find a family Dr. that I like? I've heard people talking about naropaths(sp?). Does anyone know of a link to places I could search online .Thanks

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
a pediatric chiropractor would be able to provide wellness care

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Several of my friends use family doctors, and they're really happy with them. It's nice to have access to the medical community without the forcefulness of a child-focused pediatrician. That being said, you still might want to try out other pediatricians. Usually "get to know you" interviews are free, and we found ours that way. He wasn't known or listed anywhere as a AP, liberal-minded guy, but surprise--he is!
Once you've found the right doctor for your kids and your family, the search will feel worth it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions...my dd actually does go to a Chiro, but she is not pediatric?? She has worked w/ infants before and was trained(I guess thats the word) to be able to work w/ them. I actually have an appt today to take dd so I can ask her?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EcoMama7
We don't have a pedi at all. Since we don't do well visits there's no point to us.
Then who do you call if you feel one of your dc needs to see a Dr? may-be you have never needed to, that could be possible. In the case you would need one, you would just go to an urgant care or something?

·
Registered
45 Posts
we see a family doc who is pretty crunchy - we love him. in fact the practice is one full of residents and senior docs. ours is one of the residents - at first i was weary but he is very good and fully supportive on our decision to delay vaxing.

there is a yahoo AP group (AP doctor referral) that has a list of AP friendly docs all over. the list is not as extensive as it could be but people always email the group for doc recommendations.

I think this link might work

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doc...guid=219628743

otherwise just go to yahoo groups and put in AP doctor referral as a group search.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I recommend keeping a doc as your child's pediatrician just in case, worst case scenario, you ever have to defend your parenting style to CPS. It helps to have a friendly medical professional on your side.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
Thanks for the suggestions...my dd actually does go to a Chiro, but she is not pediatric?? She has worked w/ infants before and was trained(I guess thats the word) to be able to work w/ them. I actually have an appt today to take dd so I can ask her?
She sounds like she is qualified. Ask her if she would be willing to act as your dd's primary care provider.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
We see a family practice physician but don't do well visits. We haven't discussed not vaccinating specifically but he is aware that I don't vax and has not said anything negative about it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I joined at yahoo...I'm just waiting on a confirmation email that my membership was approved for the group.

I went to her Chiro appt. today-I basically told her my situation and what I was looking for and she said she would look around(that she had some in mind) and would give me a call and give me some referals(sp?) So apparently she can't do primary care. Ughhh. Hopefully she can send me to the right place

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EcoMama7
We don't have a pedi at all. Since we don't do well visits there's no point to us.
:

As for "needing to see a dr" I guess the way we see it, is that if she really really has something sooo terrible that we need a dr, then yes, that would mean going to the ER. Everything else we handle with preventative care (the chiropractor, who I swear by) or we treat it ourself (homeopathics, ect.)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, and I didn't see anyone close at all on the yahoo group? Hopefully her Chiro will call w/ someone

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
Thanks, and I didn't see anyone close at all on the yahoo group? Hopefully her Chiro will call w/ someone

you should email the group (if you haven't already) asking if anyone knows of a doc in your area. where are you (can't remember if you mentioned it)? we are in CT - i have a few recommendations here if you live in CT.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ntresser
you should email the group (if you haven't already) asking if anyone knows of a doc in your area. where are you (can't remember if you mentioned it)? we are in CT - i have a few recommendations here if you live in CT.
Thanks, Im in FL. I'll try to email. I am still figuring the yahoo group thing out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts