Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ottawa Moms!!

I live in France right now but it looks like we will be moving to Ottawa this summer - all very last minute, don't you know? Sigh...

We will be needing a rental for the first year and I was wondering where a MDC mom would be happy to live.

Could you recommend some neighbourhoods where there are good schools, good shops, parks...

I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to write a few lines because looking at the classifieds from France is not very informative. I need some inside info.

Thank you,

Kia

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
How much are you looking to pay for a rental? Do you want a house or an apartment? What size? I'm in Ottawa (more specifically, Orleans), and love the area I'm living in. There are quite a few parks within walking distance, including a fenced toddler park. There is a gorgeous walking trail practically in my backyard, that leads to the river and to a great new beach. I haven't looked into schools too much (my oldest is only 2), but know of a great montessori preschool in the area that I'm hoping to enroll her in when I have to go back to work. (You didn't mention how old your kids are, so I don't know if that pertains to you). We're also within walking distance of one of the bigger malls in the city, including a grocery store.

If you want any other information, I'd be happy to look it up for you. I know of quite a few good rental companies (I rent a house, myself), and could send you links if you need them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Nikki!

I really appreciate your reply. I was beginning to think that my post was somehow invisible.

It's true that I didn't give much info. Here's more:

I have 2 primary schoolers. Next year they will be in grades 1 and 3. And I have a baby. I understand that private schools are quite expensive. Are the public schools all that bad?

We would like to rent a house or a condo with a patch of garden. We are not quite sure of the cost of living in Ottawa but I know that we could pay around what we pay here, translated to Can. dollars that makes about 1,200 or so a month. Give or take...

My husband will be working in Gatineau so we don't want to be too far away from there. We have even thought of living in Quebec as the kids are already French speakers. But, but, but I'M an English speaker and I want to go live where there are English-language public libraries - something I have lived without for a good 20 years now!

I would love for you to give me info. about good rental companies. At this stage I need all the info I can get.

Oh and thanks again!! Maybe we will get to meet each other once the move becomes a reality?

Hope so...

Kia

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I may be moving back too, so I'd love to hear the rental companies you reccomend. I remember Quann is a slumlord jerk.

Last time I was living in Ottawa I was smack downtown in the coolest vintage building on Metcalfe. I guess those days are over being that I now had two gorgeous kiddies.

Trying to figure out where the heck we'll live. Family is out in Arnprior but I can't deal with living in the sticks. I'd love to live in the Glebe but that looks financially impossible.

~Daednu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Note that the traffic over the bridges between Quebec and Ontario can be bad, you may wish to live in Quebec, the area of Chelsea is really nice, plus rents in Quebec are cheaper... but french vs english schools could be a problem, if a parent was educated in French, you often have to put your kids in french too. You can join the Ottawa library for $20 a year. I live near Fisher and Baseline which is a nice area. Nice (but not required) to have a car. Alison

·
Registered
180 Posts
We live in Westboro and love it. It's one of the original 'streetcar suburbs' of Ottawa, and has lots of classic century homes. The schools here are excellent, and my kids go to a wonderful alternative school within walking distance. There's a really nice local shopping area with many local businesses. Super parks and rec. facilities too.

LOL, maybe I should go into real estate...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've totally sold me on Westboro - ha ha. Actually, huz is in Ottawa right now negotiating and visiting various neighbourhoods. He, too, is in love with the Glebe but oooo it's pricey!! He's French and I'm an English-speaking Canadian and I think we would probably want to live on the Ontario side. We'll see what we find. Although now huz says he wants to buy immediately and forget about renting. Hmm...

I hope I will be able to meet some of you once I get there.

Thank you again for your replies...

Kia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.