Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is biting me like crazy right now. He has the middle bottom teeth and the top have just "broken ground". He has been testing them out on me and no matter how many times I break the latch, tell him no no, tell him it hurts mommy, tell him no biting allowed, etc. it doesn't seem to work. He bites down won't let go and smiles!!
:

: Please, any successful mamas who got there babies to stop, tell me what you did.

· Registered
6,061 Posts
I cant remember exactly what worked for me, but I know I tried pressing him into my breast when he did that so he had to let go and lean back in order to catch a breath... I dont remember if it worked, LOL, he thought it was funny when I said ouch... I think I may have tried the putting him down when he does it also.
sorry not much help, LOL, you'll have to try some things to see what works

· Registered
24 Posts
hi,
Hang in there, it will get better. My son started biting me when he got his two bottom teeth in at 9 months, he is 10 months old now. I tried the latching him off and saying bite paci, no biting mommy. I would give the paci to him for him to chew on, this was the first week of him discovering he had teeth. Sometimes I could tell by his cues that he was getting ready to bite and then I would pop him off. He did this for two weeks and now he doesnt bit anymore but I know I will have to go through this again when his two top teeth come in. Sterling

· Registered
759 Posts
I think someone on here already said to watch your reaction, and I agree. You want to scream, say "ouch" whatever, but your baby doesn't really understand the differences in those words and the word "boo" for instance. And for my ds, the word "boo" is always followed by a good laugh, and he wants to do it again to get another reaction. This is why I try not to react when he bites me, b/c then he may see it as a game.
For me, I had to watch him closely when he was latching on, and anticipate times when biting was most likely to occur (when he was playful, or not interested in eating), and make sure my finger was ready to slide between his gums and pry them apart!

I too, am waiting for the top teeth and expect this to start all over again...

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans
A nine month old baby can't be expected to understand that he is hurting you. He is not doing trying to cause you pain. Saying no or reacting too strongly can cause a nursing strike.
I realize DS is not intentionally trying to cause me pain, but that does not lessen how much it hurts. I do not tell him no or no biting mama in a harsh voice (as hard as it is to not scream). He has not had a problem with a nursing strike either, just thinks its too darn funny to stop.

I try and watch very closely for signs he is about to, but sometimes he will be nursing just fine and then BAM. It happens before I know it and I'm looking right at him. I do keep a finger right there to break the latch quickly, but he still gets a good chomp down.

I will try the pulling him into my chest and see if that helps. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated also.

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Did you look at the kellymom site I posted?

Let him chew on something cold just before a nursing. A cold wet or frozen washcloth for ex. Then if he bites while nursing, give him that and tell him, bite this, not mama.

Two of my kids only bit me twice each. I yelled, they stopped.

Dd#2 bit me for a few months. She just didn't get it. Spirited. Also she was having an even harder time with teething than her sibs. So, I've BTDT, got the t-shirt.

Are you teaching him the concept of "gentle?"

Read the kellymom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.