Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had plugged milk ducts before with ds#1 and once already with ds#2 that cleared up in a day. This time is kicking my butt, though. I've had a fever for 2 days. I nurse ds every 2-3 hours (on demand). I know I could pump every time after nursing, but I really think he is emptying my breasts (I have it in both breasts this time). In the middle of the night I am not going to get up and pump after. I am massaging the sore area every time he nurses and trying to put heat on them most times he nurses. Is there anything else I should be doing? Also, is there any way to prevent this? I did some push-ups at yoga on Wed. and then it got bad Thurs. morning. Could overworking my arms/pecs be the problem? Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Since you have a fever, it sounds like it could be mastitis and not just a plugged duct this time. If you're feeling lousy all over and continue to run a fever, a call to your doc is a good idea. It can get bad really fast without treatment. If you really think you're doing OK without that, it sounds like you are doing what you should be--hot showers and manual expression can help. And yes, sometimes exercise can exacerbate mastitis, so it might be wise to lay off for a bit to see if it gets better! I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I have found hot showers and manual expression in the shower very very helpful.
I also have dh give me breast massages to help with the plug. Do you have any streaking red marks on your breasts? That always indicates (for me) mastitis. Maybe a call to your doc might hlep.

All my best!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have streaking red in both breasts so I guess it was mastitis. It is gone this morning along with the fever - YEA!! What could my doctor have done, though?? Would they want to give antibiotics? I still wonder if there's anything I could do to prevent it. I guess I'm just more prone to it and need to catch it earlier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts