Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 week old is primarily supplemented with pumped milk. He will latch on great but still hasn't figured out how to suck to actually eat, he mostly comfort sucks. So he ends up with the pumped milk after about 15 minutes of comfort sucking and putting himself to sleep. I use an Ameda Purely Yours pump.<br><br>
Well, my nipples got pretty chewed up the first week and have never really gotten better. It hurts to try and nurse. It hurts to pump. And they hurt ALL THE TIME when I'm not doing anything to them. They feel like they are on fire and there are little needles sticking all over them. The nipples are the worst but the whole breasts are sore.<br><br>
Is this just a traumatic type of thing or could there be something else? I see my LC again today and will talk to her, but thought I'd ask for insight here too.<br><br>
I need to go pump and I'm dreading it right now...

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I think your best bet is to get your LC to look at it. Hurting in between feedings is more than just basic soreness.<br><br>
I'm not sure what you mean when you say your ds latches on great but doesn't actually eat?? If he cannot effectively draw in milk then his latch may not be as good as it looks from the outside. You could have the LC reevaluate his latch and see how he is positioning his tongue while sucking. Have you tried breast compression to get more milk flowing into his mouth? That can keep them interested and awake longer and they get more milk. Also there are tricks to waking a baby too sleepy to eat.<br>
Here's a great site with lots of bf info -<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html</a><br><br>
It also has pages with info on nipple health.<br><br>
In the meantime, you can take measures to reduce your pain by using some tylenol and making sure you have something to distract you when you nurse or pump. Turn on a movie or some tv show or whatever will take some attention away from what you are going through. I also have had good pain relief from cold compresses placed on the nipple for a minute or two afterward. Until you know if you have thrush or not, it's probably a good idea to use a dry cold compress rather than wet.<br><br>
good luck, hope the LC helps you out & things get better soon. (if the LC isn't helpful or you just don't feel comfortable with her you can always call someone else for a second opinion).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts