Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD bit me really bad 2 nights ago. I have a scab on my nipple from where she punctured me. Now not only is that hurting, but I am getting shooting pains up and down my breast. Nothing looks any different except for the small scab. When she nurses on that side now, WOWOWIE OWWWWW it hurts like blazes.

Has this ever happened to you? Is there anything I can do about this pain? I am really dreading the next time she nurses on that side.

Thanks.

· Registered
236 Posts
Oh mama, that sounds so painful! I haven't had that happen (I've gotten one wound-inducing bite, but it wasn't as bad as what you are describing), but here are the first things that come to my mind. First, might it be infected? Are the shooting pains only while she's nursing, or do they come at any time--or immediately following a nursing but after the nursing is over? Also, might it be possible to pump on that side and give her the milk in a cup or bottle for a day or two to allow it to heal? You'd still nurse on the other side, obviously. I would consider a call to a La Leche League leader to help out with this one. I wish I had better advice, but I wanted to at least give you some hugs. I hope you heal quickly!

· Registered
40 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denae524 View Post
My DD bit me really bad 2 nights ago. I have a scab on my nipple from where she punctured me. Now not only is that hurting, but I am getting shooting pains up and down my breast. Nothing looks any different except for the small scab. When she nurses on that side now, WOWOWIE OWWWWW it hurts like blazes.

Has this ever happened to you? Is there anything I can do about this pain? I am really dreading the next time she nurses on that side.

Thanks.
ugh, I just got on here for the same problem, my dd bit me yesterday, it hurt so bad for like ten minutes afterword and bled. And I was dreading putting her back on, and when I did today it was soo excrushiating, I could only do it a minute. there was a tiny scab before I tried nursing her and even when that was catching on my bra it hurt. This pain is Way worse then when just starting to nurse as a newborn, and the pain didnt go away once she started nusing, and it shoots right up. right now I"m so engorged on that side from not nursing on it all day but the once for just a minute. It hurts just thinking about it.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubbbyaf View Post
ugh, I just got on here for the same problem, my dd bit me yesterday, it hurt so bad for like ten minutes afterword and bled. And I was dreading putting her back on, and when I did today it was soo excrushiating, I could only do it a minute. there was a tiny scab before I tried nursing her and even when that was catching on my bra it hurt. This pain is Way worse then when just starting to nurse as a newborn, and the pain didnt go away once she started nusing, and it shoots right up. right now I"m so engorged on that side from not nursing on it all day but the once for just a minute. It hurts just thinking about it.

Well it has been a few days and let me tell you, it HURT like blazes. I had to pump a few times and that helped some. The pain is still there but not as bad as it was. I guess maybe this is just something that you have to let heal and not much can be done.

· Registered
476 Posts
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I kept nursing on the bitten side, and it got worse for a couple of days. Then I stopped nursing on that side, put some lansinoh, and got better in a day. I'm permanently scared though.

· Registered
40 Posts
I just started nursing on that side again. Still painful, but bearable. Of course being engorged didn't feel to good either. I couldn't bring myself to pump, just seemed too painful to even try. ~I'm afraid everytime she moves while nursing that she's going to bite or strip her teeth across.

· Premium Member
1,056 Posts
DD bites on occasion but has never (knock wood) drawn blood. However she is teething now and that always makes her latch weird. This time she has worn a sore spot on my right nipple that causes the kind of excruciating pain the OP talked about. I've found nursing her in different positions alleviates it somewhat but I think I'm going to have to give the right side a day off. Putting some breast milk on the spot often helps.

· Registered
476 Posts
DD's been teething pretty bad and it just happened again! I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw my blood all over her face. Not again. I'm about to cry. Last time was hard because she doesn't drink from a bottle or cup. Only boob, and the better side is broken now. Wah!

· Registered
40 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl H View Post
DD's been teething pretty bad and it just happened again! I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw my blood all over her face. Not again. I'm about to cry. Last time was hard because she doesn't drink from a bottle or cup. Only boob, and the better side is broken now. Wah!
OMG, I'm soo sorry to hear that, Is it getting better now? or are you still down to one side?

· Registered
476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubbbyaf View Post
OMG, I'm soo sorry to hear that, Is it getting better now? or are you still down to one side?

Actually, it wasn't as bad as the first time. The first time, she bit down and then pulled her head away making a pretty big gash. This bite healed faster. No big deal. (It seemed like a really big deal when it happened) =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.