Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nipples hurt! I was relieved over this last month when the tenderness in my breasts subsided somewhat and I wasn't quite as sensitive as I had been in the first tri. But the last three days I am getting this awful sharp stabbing pain in my nipples that comes and goes but is fierce enough to take my breath away! Yeowww!!! What the heck is going on? I don't remember this from other pregnancies I don't think.

I do usually get colostrum in around 5 months or so but it should still be too soon for that. Anyone?

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I don't know about colostrum personally... though in Adventures in Tandem Nursing it says it usually comes in during the third trimester. But I can say my nipples have hurt aot more in the last week after a reprieve of almost a month! I'm also getting the ickies with nursing where I want to tear him off and through him out the window. Nice, huh? On top of that I've been extra irritable. So I'm not sure what's going on... extra hormones as the placenta settles in as ruler of the hormones?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm also breastfeeding and my nipples have been more sore in the last week or so as well. I've also had shooting pains on and off, it's within a normal range for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Surprisingly, I wasn't too uncomfortable the first trimester (other than not wanting DD1 to nurse anymore, but we limited it to two songs at a time, and we're both okay with that now). Now, though, wow when they latch on I have to catch my breath. It's intense shooting pain. If it felt like that the whole time they nursed (I'm nursing both my girls, 31 months and 15 months), then we'd have to wean. There's no way I could handle such sharp pain. However, once they get going, it's tolerable. As long as they aren't on too long I'm okay. It's interesting having both girls nursing because I can handle the younger one nursing much more often and for much longer than the older one.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had a week or so of intense pain returning, and though it's not quite back to painless, the super intense stuff has gone now. It also coincided with some crazy irritability. I'm 18w4d.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So glad I'm not alone! Although I'm not so glad that you ladies are suffering too. Today and yesterday have been a bit better. No horrible shooting pains but still burning and crazy sensitivity. Ice helps! Now have have a nasty cold so that's kind of taking center stage in the complaint department. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I realized yesterday that I had allowed DD2 to get a bit lazy as she latched on -- she would suck my nipple into her mouth instead of having her mouth wide open. Once we fixed that, it really helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.