Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been taking my temp every morning to track ovulation (hoping to ttc next month). My 19mo dd sleeps with us. The other morning after taking my temp, I leave the thermometer (kind of long, flexible tip digital type) on the bed, knowing full well she likes to play with it. I roll onto my side to try to rest a little more before she forces me to get up. No biggie right? Well suddenly she STABS ME IN THE EAR with the thermometer! I can't describe the sound or the pain! So I sit up screaming and holding my ear. It's bleeding. It's awful and I'm totally freaking out and scared to death of what it might mean to me. I just have no clue. So I go to the ER & the doc there sees blood but doesn't think there's a hole, thank God. It was this past holiday weekend so I didn't get my prescription for ear drops filled although I really wanted to (he told me it would help it heal faster). Anyway, there were a couple times where it would sound like wax would move in my ear and all of a sudden I could hear clearly (b/c right now everything is muffled in that ear). I became convinced that there must be a clot of dried blood moving around in there so the other night, genius that I am, I decide to drop some hydrogen peroxide into my ear to break up the blood so hopefully I can hear. As soon as it dripped down into my ear is was like searing pain & loud bubbly sound (the way hydrogen peroxide does on wounds) and I could feel it in my nostril!!! So, yep, a hole. I go back to the doctor (a different one) and she can see a "big" hole in my eardrum! She says it will take anywhere from 3 months to a YEAR to heal and for my hearing to come back to normal. In the meantime I can't get it wet - at all - or I further risk infection (I guess flushing it out w/water after the hydrogen peroxide incident wasn't such a bright idea after all). Anyway, I'm freaking out about it cuz I know that IF it should get infected it could be pretty serious and I want to ttc next month. My friend is warning me not to (she knows a lot about ear stuff). She says if I get pg then surely I'll get an infection b/c that's just the way the universe works and treatment for it would be VERY harsh (not ideal for a fetus). Ugh! Anyway, I just thought I'd share and vent (and whine - sorry!).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know if it's the same thing, but I ruptured my eardrum scuba diving when I was much younger and it healed pretty fast... even with an infection (pus oozing out of my ear, it was gross). I remember taking a standard dose of antibiotics, and I know there are some you can take while pg (although it's obviously not ideal).

Also, as a kid I had tubes in my ears and my mom would lube up pieces of cotton balls with vaseline before swimming/showers/baths (obviously I was not allowed to put my head underwater) and it really worked.

So sorry about the injury and hope you heal quickly!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Oh, wow. Ben has tried to do that to me and to himself, but luckily I was awake, and I stopped him in time.

You can use silicone ear plugs to form a water-tight seal. Just don;t submerge your ears in water and you should be ok.

Oh and no more funny stuff in the ear, ok?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually bought some of the silicone ear plugs yesterday and they seemed to work pretty well. This was after an unsuccessful attempt to keep water out while showering by using cotton balls & saran wrap/rubberband on my ear. :LOL {{{sigh}}} I hope it's better real soon!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So sorry that happened to you! Hope it heals soon. I have to say thanks for sharing the lesson, though - I'm going to start tracking my temps again soon and my toddler already loves to poke his finger in my ear so I'll be sure to keep the thermometer out of reach!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.