Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he is becoming more of a loner than he used to be . He used to love being carried around by me, and my son. Loved to get his belly rubbed and now since the cat is 5 .<br><br>
The cat will growl. Then if Brendan doesn't listen to his growls he will get bit and get upset by it then wondering why the cat is being mean to him when he's not hurting the cat .<br><br>
Even when our cat has his claws out to do the scratching he will end up trying to scratch Brendan and he will only think that's a game until he ends up scratched but then it's been repeated over & over.<br><br>
I no longer hold the cat because I know the cat doesn't want to be held and wants to be left alone but how do you get a child who is almost 6 to understand that the cat who used to loved to be held no longer wants to be held and wants to be left alone because he's getting old .<br><br>
When cats get this way is it a sign they are more closer to their death stage ? Because our cat was a rescued cat from a rescue who had very sick issues that the rescue helped fixed him up .

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Did you say the cat was 5? That is very young.<br>
Personally I would bring him in for a general check-up....he sounds like he might be sore...perhaps he may have some arthritis starting and doesn't want to be touched for that reason. It may be stress related too.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I second the suggestion to get him checked out. This very thing happened with both a cat and dog of ours when I was a kid, and it turned out to be medical both times. Five is nowhere near death age for cats.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cat gets checked out by the vet and the vet says he's just fine . Says he's healthy but I just wonder if it is because when he was a kitten he was in very bad shape that he was on his deathbed that the rescue thought about putting him to sleep but didn't had the rescue foster care put him into the care of the one foster mom's he got better so i just wonder if his life will be shorter because of his previous problems ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts