Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share our experience with chicken pox.

Ds is 21 months, and got it from Dh (!) who was properly diagnosed, so we didn't really go to see a doc when ds got the rash 2 weeks later after dh did.

The first four days the rush was bad but we did the usual washing/otameal baths/lots of water and nursing. Things looked to be improving, with most of the blisters healing up.

However, there were a couple of blister in the diaper area that I found to be infected today. They turned really swallen, red and leaky, and looked definetly infected. I went to see a doc this morning and she prescribed a week worth of antibiotics for that (not topical - the pills).

Now, this got me really really upset. I don't want to push antibiotics on ds for for a two swallen blisters at the time when his immune system was busy fighting CP. I decided to try my own remedies and give it a shot till tomorrow - if things don't improve I would give in.

So I mixed some tea tree/lavender oils, diluted with chamomile tea and applied to the spots. What do you know - within hours the blisters improved and started to heal! Talk about overuse of antibiotics prescription....

The moral - keep the nappies off during CP, and wash wash wash.

Just wanted to share! Thanks for reading.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Get another PED. If he /she is that quick regards antibiotic use,your in trouble. Yes what you did is wonderfull,there is ALWAYS A HOLISTIC ALTERNATIVE way of healing your children.
My suggestion is find a naturopath/homeopath/accup...............
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com
500 pages of holistic healing for the entire family.
THats the Verry first story ever of a ped giving antibiotics for chicken pox,he should be reported!

TYLER

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabel_the_Sheep View Post
Just wanted to share our experience with chicken pox.

Ds is 21 months, and got it from Dh (!) who was properly diagnosed, so we didn't really go to see a doc when ds got the rash 2 weeks later after dh did.

The first four days the rush was bad but we did the usual washing/otameal baths/lots of water and nursing. Things looked to be improving, with most of the blisters healing up.

However, there were a couple of blister in the diaper area that I found to be infected today. They turned really swallen, red and leaky, and looked definetly infected. I went to see a doc this morning and she prescribed a week worth of antibiotics for that (not topical - the pills).

Now, this got me really really upset. I don't want to push antibiotics on ds for for a two swallen blisters at the time when his immune system was busy fighting CP. I decided to try my own remedies and give it a shot till tomorrow - if things don't improve I would give in.

So I mixed some tea tree/lavender oils, diluted with chamomile tea and applied to the spots. What do you know - within hours the blisters improved and started to heal! Talk about overuse of antibiotics prescription....

The moral - keep the nappies off during CP, and wash wash wash.

Just wanted to share! Thanks for reading.

Glad he seems to be getting better, all my lo's had cp last year within a wk of each other we didn't bother going to dr's didn't think there was any point just kept them away from nursery/groups untill the spots scabbed over and covered them in calamine lotion.
i know what you mean about the nappies cameron and caitlins poor little bottoms were so sore the sudocreme worked wounders though thankfully

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Glad he's feeling better! Did you by chance use any fever reducers? I've heard that using them increases the chance of infected pox.

-Angela
No, nothing like that. I really tried my best, but something must have gotten in somehow - its a difficult area

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Great job momma!

For those living in the US and eventually using a vaccine exemption from school, you might want to get it confirmed by a doctor. He must give you a written statement that the child had chicken pox.

You can then turn this in with your vaccine exemption and when there is a chicken pox outbreak in your school district your child does not have to miss school since he's already had cp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.