Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried wool overnight lastnight for the first time. I have to say I am impressed. I used a pinheads hemp diaper with a JB and moe fleece topped doubler and then my new merino longies. It held up great! The longies were a little damp in the AM (after 13 hours in them).

The only disturbing thing was that the hemp STUNK in the morning, which I heard can happen. It was just like a super ammonia smell. Not eye tearing but definately noticable. So I will not be doing that again!!
Tonite I will try something else to avoid the stinkies. I use JBs all the time in my FBs and they never smell.wierd.

Any suggestions on diapers other than hemp to use overnight? I have a firefly nights coming and have a VB sherpa night diaper here to try but its so bulky.

Can I use OV overnight?

What else is good yet trim and NOT hemp?

THANKS!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I think it just took me a while to realize that morning diapers are stinky, and that's just a "natural fact", but stinky doesn't necessarily mean harmful...

I have used on my kids over the last ten years: a wool cover with flannel contours inside. I'd use two at night. Never a problem, and our little one coming in January will use his older brother and sisters' hand-me-downs that are ten years old and still working!

Good for you for making the switch...

·
Registered
257 Posts
OV doesnt do it for us. Organic cotton I am told is as absorbent as hemp but, I dont kjnow. Its such a hard call. I have a SUPER SOAKER on my hands and well, bulky is the only thing that holds her. You said that your JBs dont normally stink, could you have buildup on your pinhead? No matter what an overnight diaper is going to have a very strong smell...something about urine in the diaper for 12hrs
I think as long as the smell wasnt knock you down puking as soon as you walk in the room, I think you are doing well

·
Registered
961 Posts
Even my dd's prefolds stink in the morning....strong. And she barely wets at night at this point. At best, her diapers are damp lately. I think stinky morning dipes are just a fact of life. It's a long time!

Meghann

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
I think you're going to like your Firefly Sleeptight when you get it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think morning diapers just stink. I've used OV overnight - I tried a Sunkissed Babies - it helf up ok. Keep experimenting - you'll find one you like. I have a sherpa Peewell that does pretty well at night, but it stinks too. I avoid hemp because it seems to irritate DD skin when left on for long periods. She does much better with flannel or OV.

Capemom

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to hear that they all stink. I wont shelve my hemp just yet then. I actually wimped out tonite and put him in a FB with a CB micro insert and a small micro towel. When I do this the smell is very minimal. Hopefully my Firefly will be here soon so I can try that. OR I will try the VB sherpa tomorrow night, although its bulky. THanks for all the input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.