Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So get this. My accidental
chocolate chip trial PASSED if you can believe it. So that means that chocolate and cane sugar are both ok (previously thought that DD might not be ok with cane sugar). That was pretty exciting.

Last night, I started a nori trial- bought a pack at the HFS and added it to our lamb bone broth. I was just going to eat it myself for a couple days, then give some to DD... but she really wanted some, and she thought it was fabulous when I gave her a piece. Well, she woke up this morning with hiccups (first sign of trouble). For lunch, we had some more bone broth with nori. This time, DD put a piece in her mouth and took it right back out (second sign) and wanted nothing more to do with it, although I think she did swallow a little of it.

Within an hour of lunch, her right cheek is bright red and bubbly.
This is the fastest and worst reaction that she's had in weeks!!

Is it even possible to have an ana reaction to frickin seaweed? (Ok, I know that's a stupid question... but really, has ANYONE'S LO reacted to sea veggies?)

Then I started thinking, ok... maybe I need to look into failsafe or something. I just finally got the book from my library, but haven't started it yet. But I'm looking at the charts of high salicylate foods, and it doesn't fit. The only fruit that DD doesn't react to is blueberries, which are very high in salicylates. And honey is high too, and I eat it by the spoonful (daily
). So is it another food chemical? Or is she really just allergic to seaweed?
:

Help me figure this out mamas. Or, feel free to just tell me to open my stupid library book already.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm certain you're not the only one with seaweed problems.... there was someone else, was it Kathy? Someone...

Congrats on passing chocolate and sugar (and IDing seaweed). It sounds like you're really getting somewhere!

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the chocolate was pretty exciting. I do feel like we're finally making some real progress here, but I'm really bummed about the nori.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I wonder if it could be a certain mineral or such? I remember T's allergist saying that sometimes people are allergic to say, nickel, and so all the foods that are high in nickel cause them to react...

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Like the salicylate issue doesn't fit, so maybe some other food chemical or mineral or....??

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
At least one of Kathy's dc reacts to seaweed, and I think there's another mama here whose child reacts as well.
MIL is allergic to iodine (IODINE!? wth?) so she can't eat any seafood nor sea veggies.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My 13yo DS loves sushi but always gets terrible stomach aches afterward. After much trial and error we figured out that he can't handle the nori. Not the same type of reaction at all but the stomach aches start within minutes of the first bite of nori.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
There was a study, women were asked if they would rather give up sex or chocolate. Which do you think won?

Pat
I know. I know. Pick me! Pick me!
Yes, it's my DD2 who can't have seaweed (see, you're not alone -- doesn't that make you feel better?). She reacted on ALCAT. Haven't tested her on it. But tonight she decided to challenge herself on DD1's chocolate Advent calendar. When asked how many she ate.... "Like... a lot." (she's 3). Got bright red cheeks within a half hour, and guzzling the rice milk (I spiked it with ginger and chamomile). It's chocolate (okay), milk (not okay), and soy (not okay). This'll be a fun few nights.

Chocolate and cane sugar. You can make rum balls!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Yes, it's my DD2 who can't have seaweed (see, you're not alone -- doesn't that make you feel better?). She reacted on ALCAT. Haven't tested her on it. But tonight she decided to challenge herself on DD1's chocolate Advent calendar. When asked how many she ate.... "Like... a lot." (she's 3). Got bright red cheeks within a half hour, and guzzling the rice milk (I spiked it with ginger and chamomile). It's chocolate (okay), milk (not okay), and soy (not okay). This'll be a fun few nights.

Ouch.
I'm sorry for that, Kathy. (Her answer's cute though!)
Again with the rum balls!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Ouch.
I'm sorry for that, Kathy. (Her answer's cute though!)
Again with the rum balls!

I'll be thinking about the rum balls until I make them. Then they won't be as good as I remember, and I'll be sad.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Okay, Google just popped out some interesting info. Apparently, a certain kind of organism called an amphipod can get mixed in with the nori; it's cross-reactive with shellfish (the extract mentions crab and shrimp), so she could be reacting to that and not the nori per se.

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a781203508~db=all~order=page
Thanks for posting that- that's really interesting. She definitely reacts to shellfish. So I wonder if that's specific to nori, or if I should just give up on seaweed all together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

So did ALCAT just test for a generic "seaweed"? Do I assume that they're all going to have the same reaction? I don't think I'm brave enough to try another variety... but I'm curious.

Ooh, really? I can make rum balls? I've stayed out of the candy thread because it makes me sad and hungry...
But if I can make candy now, count me in!! How do I do it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The failsafe diet also focuses on amines and glutamates, not just salicylates. So if you dd doesn't have a probloem with salicylates, it could be an amine or glutamate issue. The failsafe diet explains it in full.

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Well, I know it is a huge downer to see the nori cause such a quick and devastating reation, but CHOCOLATE!! That's flavor, you know? You havent had a lot of that, so I would be pretty excited if I were you.
:

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ooh, really? I can make rum balls? I've stayed out of the candy thread because it makes me sad and hungry...
But if I can make candy now, count me in!! How do I do it?
Was this in reference to the candy cane thread?

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by matey View Post
Well, I know it is a huge downer to see the nori cause such a quick and devastating reation, but CHOCOLATE!! That's flavor, you know? You havent had a lot of that, so I would be pretty excited if I were you.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by *mama moose* View Post
I know nori is better for you, but I would much rather eat chocolate ANY day

really though I'm sorry for the reaction

Oh, don't get my wrong- I am PSYCHED about the chocolate!!! I was just expecting kind of the opposite results, so it was weird. I was expecting to feel really guilty for indulging my sweet tooth and making DD feel like crap... and it never happened. And then happened with the nori. crazy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Was this in reference to the candy cane thread?
I think it was the corn free candy thread that I saw all the rum ball references.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Ditto other sentiments.....so sorry about nori - it is a great food, buuuuuut can't complain about something sweet! I'm happy that *something* passed at least.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
The ALCAT test was for "kelp". She'd reacted to the carageenan that was in the Rice Dream ice cream and in every rice milk besides Rice Dream, so I should have realized it. Of course now if she sees me eating sushi she wants it, but I don't know how sushi would stay together without the seaweed!

My truffle recipe is ... Help -- I can't find it. Oh this stinks. I just tore apart my recipe box. It's something like chocolate chips (can you use Enjoy Life? I'm going to replace it with cocoa + coconut oil or palm shortening + palm sugar since DS can't do cane sugar), sour cream (I'm replacing with coconut milk yogurt) and rum or amaretto (not sure what's in that so I'm not using it). Roll (messy). Then you can roll them in corn-free confectioners sugar, or ground nuts (almond meal would be good) or cocoa or whatever. Chill. I've got to find the recipe! I can't find the fruitcake recipe I wanted to try either so they must all be together... somewhere.

And I tried to ward my DD's reaction to the chocolate Advent calendar last night with ginger and chamomile (she can't do Gripe Water anymore because of the fennel), and she didn't wake up that much but she pooped 3 times this morning and there was blood in it (the only other time she's had blood in her poo was when she had an allergic reaction to Amoxicillan). Ugh -- I hate reactions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.