Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 4 1/2 she also has down syndrome. Our nursing success is something I have savored and enjoyed the whole time. I did wonder if she would follow a typical pattern and self wean.

Well, I am happy to say we practiced "don't offer, don't refuse". She hadn't been nursing during the day for a while. We started a very good clear bedtime routine. A couple nights she said she didn't want mama milk. It felt a bit sad to know she was growing up and not needing that to fall asleep. She would still wake during the night and want to nurse. But, that slowed down and stopped too.

It has now been three nights with no nursing. She cuddles up to me to fall asleep and snuggles during night wake-ups. She is more cuddly now than when she was nursing.

I am so proud of my big girl. And so pleased to know that even though she isn't a typical kid she can still be parented much the same way we have with DS.

Her weaning also led to our exciting upcoming arrival. I am at the far end of the nursing for birth control, as you can tell with the 5 year gap between my children. I got pregnant with DD shortly after DS weaned.

Thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for sharing your weaning story! It sounds like she is taking the lead and ready to stop nursing.

My 3 yr old has Down syndrome and is still nursing. A loooong time ago I posted in this forum wondering how clw-ing worked with SN kiddos. I had been told by a mom friend that her son with Ds didn't wean until he was 5, and even then she had to nudge him. She said, "I knew that developmentally he was about age 3, so it didn't seem too long to nurse him until he was 5."

My almost 5 yr old son is typically developing and still nursing so of course it made me wonder how long my younger son would want to nurse! It is hard sometimes to put your faith in CLWing, but even harder when you have a child that does things at a slower pace.

We are ttc-ing now, after a loss in the spring, so I think that will affect how much longer my sons nurse. I was glad that they didn't wean during the pg I lost, but I do think I will be ready for them to wean before I have a third nursling, should that day come.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how happy I was to read of another mom that CLW'd their child with Ds!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thank you for sharing your nursing success story with your child that has Down's Syndrome. I have a now 14 yo son with Down's Syndrome tha, after much effort, was unable to nurse (poor latch, low muscle tone).

I have a 2 1/2 yo that is still nursing strong and plan to CLW. Thanks again for sharing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.