·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is 3 and I thought with it being summer we'd try and leave the
diapers off at night and see if he'd go all night. He potty trained
himself in the day quite a while ago and also at night he used to
wake up with a dry diaper the next morning. Maybe I should have tried
then as I wonder if now it is his habit to wee in his diaper.
(We use cloth diapers).
Last night I wanted to leave him with a bare bum so he'd know if he
wee'd. He didn't want that and insisted on having his pj's on. He
sleeps with me and I lay him on a mattress protector next to me. At
five am he was fidgeting and I asked if he needed to pee. He said no
(still sleeping!). The next thing I knew he had peed in his pj's and
missed the mattress pad! Damn!!!!
Should I bother or leave him in diapers? I'm really fine with him
having accidents so that's not the reason I ask. I don't want to push
him in any way. My logic is I'd rather do it in summer as it's easier
but next year he will be 4.
Any advice?
I will lift him onto the potty if he fidgets tonight but worry he
will wake in a tantrum if he doesn't want to go!
Blessings,
Louise xxxxx

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
well i have been reading about this a lot lately

this is just what i read

it is a sign that they are ready when they wake up DRY

it may take a year or two to get night trained after being day trained

my mil told her dd that she could wear her special panties if she woke up dry for a week, and it worked.

do what feels right to you, but sounds like too much trouble to me. why not just wait?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As last night was the second night of him peeing and missing the bed mat I have decided to wait till he is dry in the mornings. At the moment this is one in about 7 mornings. I suppose I worried the longer I leave it the harder it will be, thinking it is habit as he used to wake dry months ago and I never did it then.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
My ds has been potty trained since a few months before his 3rd bday. But he is one month over 3 1/2 and still more often than not wakes up wet. We don't even worry about it because we know his body will catch up when it is ready. His dad was like this for many years when he was little so I know that may contribute to it (hereditary). My ds is good about not letting it get him down and on occasion will go potty in the middle of the night but this is very very rare! he sleeps with his brother and wears a diaper at night (although we use pull ups and not cloth).

During nap time though we all sleep together and he sleeps on a mattress pad. And believe me I know how frustrating it is when he misses! it is rare he wets during nap but it always seems to just miss that pad! good luck to you and your ds!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My eldest DD (3 next month) was out of diapers for nighttime when she was 28 months, but soon after the birth of our second DD, she began to have an occasional wetting at night. Occasional soon became regular, and we decided to use what we called "emergency diapers" at night again. We distinguished them by calling them "emergency diapers" because I wanted to make sure she didn't see this as a negative thing, or feel ashamed about it. We didn't push either way (not making a huge deal when she woke up wet or dry, just observed "oh, dry diaper!" or "oh, wet diaper!" in the a.m.)

She now is *almost* always dry at night (only 1 wet in the last 3 weeks), and now routinely will either sleep the night through and wake dry OR wake up once/night and ask to go to the toilet. I am tempted to try again without a diaper, but am leaving it up to her. I ask when we're getting ready for bed "Do you want an emergency diaper?", and so far she says yes.

Those mattress pads sound like a good idea.... mental note, for DD #2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.