Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that the only thing in the crib should be a flat sheet and the baby, but I had someone suggest double layering a mattress pad, sheet, mattress pad, sheet set up so that night time clean ups don't involve mattress wrestling in the dark. Is this safe?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Your baby will probably be in a sleeper and a sleep sack in Winter so leaks won't go too far. I think the extra mattress pad might be overkill but you never know! Every kid is different. I'm not sure it's dangerous as long as it's all really snugly fitting the mattress. Definitely have extra sleepwear and sleep sack handy by your diapers -- that's something you'll never regret. :)

I also liked having a change mat (or thick towel) that I could open up in the bed when we were co-sleeping so no one had to get up to do a diaper change. It needed to be pretty big though, the fold up travel ones that come with most diaper bags were too short for my projectile pooper boy. ;)

Reactions: stardogs

·
Registered
427 Posts
It sounds safe to me but for my two older kids would have been overkill. I agree that onesie + sleep sack or swaddle catches a most overflow stuff from the bottom end. It might be handy to do that stacking thing if you have a lot of vomit or drool on your hands. I also agree that having a change mat (we use a waterproofed-on-one-side cloth) to use on the bed is handy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had a few super thick felted sweaters that I cut the body panels out of (so basically cut across from armpit to armpit) and then cut down one side seam so I had a big rectangle. I used these as mattress pads over the sheet, tucking them in on each side. Replaced as needed. One of the nice things about wool is it is antibacterial, esp. if you prep with lanolin and some EO's, so I did not feel the need to wash every time it got a little wet. Poo is a different story, of course, but my babies didn't poop much at night luckily, and if they did the diaper and cover and sleeper and swaddle blanket did a pretty good job of catching it all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts