Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anybody else already outgrowing their clothes? i have a total of 2 shirts that totally cover my belly, and they're cutting it close. i've tried sizing up, but generally i get very little to no extra belly room and really baggy armpits / shoulders.

any recommendations for clothes that fit a really big belly on a not-so-big momma? before too long it will be too cold to let my tummy hang out.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I hate to say this but I really think maternity clothes are getting smaller, no matter what size you are
. And it's not just me getting bigger either!! During my 1st pregnancy I bough Old navy XXL shirts for the last trimester, i still have one left and it fits generously at this point (I'm 26 wks). Now I bought some XXL at old navy this year and they were already tight and short about a month ago!!!! and it's not just that brand (and I started out about 12lbs lighter this pregnancy)

I'm sorry but my reply hasnt been very helpful for finding shirts that fit
: I don't know who's designing pregnancy shirts but it's not a pregnant woman
:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I outgrew mine already... well, they shrunk a bit, too. So now all I have that fits my bottom is one pair of jeans (but those are getting tight!) and a long skirt with an elastic waistband.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've been having the same problem; if I go up a size (haha - not very easy to do when you're already XL/XXL) the shoulders are huge and shapeless
I've been really really happy with the tops that I picked up on sale at Gap...they were very much reduced, and because they're all knits/cotton they seem to have more give to them.

I'm dreading the fall though...I hope someone makes some really nice stretchy sweaters

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mihelinka
I hate to say this but I really think maternity clothes are getting smaller, no matter what size you are
. And it's not just me getting bigger either!! During my 1st pregnancy I bough Old navy XXL shirts for the last trimester, i still have one left and it fits generously at this point (I'm 26 wks). Now I bought some XXL at old navy this year and they were already tight and short about a month ago!!!! and it's not just that brand (and I started out about 12lbs lighter this pregnancy)

I'm sorry but my reply hasnt been very helpful for finding shirts that fit
: I don't know who's designing pregnancy shirts but it's not a pregnant woman
:
Sorry for barging in from the December thread...

I completely agree and could not have expressed it better. Maternity clothes are getting smaller (and more low cut, too)! This might be due to this "modern" idea of having everything fit snugly. How else is it possible that I could be a size 12 pre-preg, be measuring normally in the belly area, have gained very little weight otherwise, and be barely fitting into preg size L? I know that a have some time to go, so I am buying XL's.

I think many lines assume a base size 6-10 pre-preg and fit the various sizes on the stages (S, M for 2nd tri; L and XL for 3rd tri) based on this particular model.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I think it also has a lot to do with your body type. I am very short waisted so I still fit in many of my regular pre-prego shirts and my couple maternity shirts go down to my hips...they are tight but I love that! Otherwise, I feel like a tent with all that hanging fabric around my hips!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
yep, I definitely think that maternity clotes are getting small - the "bare your belly" look is in, apparently. (In with who, I have no idea, becuase none of my pregnant friends like it) I have size medium clothes that I got wen I was pregnant with my first over 7 years ago that fit me well now, but the size XL's that I've tried in the past two months at stores are riding up my belly. WTF?! I weigh less now than I did wen I was pg with my first, LOL!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Jumping in from the August DDC..

I bought a few things at Sears during this pregnancy. Not always the most stylish.
, but they are definitely cut more to cover and less to belly-bare. They were great for work, especially, and I have a couple of shirts that I'm wearing at the end.

Might be worth a try. FWIW, not every store sells maternity. Cause some markets have no pregnant women?!? Go figure.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yes- I have noticed that the clothes are pretty small and I'm not that big!! Grr. I just brought home two long sleeve shirts for this fall, even a size bigger than usual and they STILL were tight. I think it is the 'tight' look thing. However, I personally prefer just a straight A-line shirt with no bows, bells or whistles! Why are mat. shirts so 'cutesy?!'

Some of my shirts already don't cover... I'm kinda bummed.

You aren't alone in the clothing frustration; I'm annoyed at all the $$ I've had to spend. So investing even MORE because they won't cover me is not making me very happy!!! Plus the seasonal change, now.

Oh well, I am starting to look forward to that baby under there!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am not having a problem with skirts... more with pants. I had bought three pairs of dress pants for work as my first maternity clothing purchases and they seem a little tight in my hip/bum area now! I just hope they last a couple more months because I am definitely not going to be buying anything else! I only have one pair of capris and one maternity skirt as alternatives.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oh yes. I have 6 weeks left of work and I'm not sure I'm going to make it with the stuff I have now. The tops are all getting too tight.
I know, it's baby but it's still kinda depressing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
So it's not my imagination that every. single. thing. I try on is out of wack for a pregnant body. The shirts that fit the shoulders show off the belly. The shirts that fit the belly hang off my shoulders and past my boobs. (extra low cut V-necks are all I can find)

I've invested in a few long and wide scarves from goodwill and tie them around my belly at the gap. They're cute, cheap, and (if I'm not deluding myself) semi-stylish. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a pair of maternity capris that I wear to work about twice a week. They have the adjustable button waistband and I am all the way to the last button and the pants are almost uncomfortably tight. I have only gained 8 pounds so far. I guess since I have to buy for fall soon it is ok, but it sucks. My favorite shirts are from target (not maternity) and American Eagle. They are super long and stretchy so they cover my belly no matter how tight they are.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by papercranegirl
So it's not my imagination that every. single. thing. I try on is out of wack for a pregnant body. The shirts that fit the shoulders show off the belly. The shirts that fit the belly hang off my shoulders and past my boobs. (extra low cut V-necks are all I can find)
: I have to safety pin my tops closed!!! WTH? I only have two "maternity" tops that I wear when I am going somewhere. I am a SAHM so I can spend the rest of my days in T-shirts. For the most part I am still wearing pre-pregnancy T-shirts because well I was bigger to begin with and I HATE short shirts. So I just by very large colored men's t-shirts. (oh yea, and men's shirts cost less, look better, and don't have stupid designs. And the main reason I started wearing them years and years ago although I think this fad has died, they don't have shoulder pads. Like I really wanna look like a football player.)

I mean come on. What is the deal with women's sized cloths just being wider? I don't want wider cloths I want LONGER cloths. gesh! I have noticed the maternity tops I have are starting to get a bit shorter, but I think they will last. I bought them big to start with.

Anyway, I don't think it is just maternity cloths, I think EVERYTHING is getting smaller. Just another way to make everyone feel fatter.
:

Everyone I know went up a shoe size a few years ago. My 13 year old daughter is wearing size 8 to 8.5. I wore a size 8 until about 2000. And forget about sandals! Sized Medium my butt.
When I finally found a store that actually carried wides they were too wide.

I am sick of having to buy cloths. I wish I knew how to sew.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT

Everyone I know went up a shoe size a few years ago. My 13 year old daughter is wearing size 8 to 8.5. I wore a size 8 until about 2000. And forget about sandals! Sized Medium my butt.
When I finally found a store that actually carried wides they were too wide.
OMG! I knew about the clothes, but I didn't realize they are making shoes smaller, too. I had been a size 7 1/2 or 8 until about a year ago (pre-preg), when I started needing an 8 1/2 with new styles. I thought my feet had "spread", and that my old shoes fit only because I had already stretched them out.

Villains!

BTW, for those ladies who are *ahem* mature enough to remember the late 80's, this was a great time for roomy clothes. All my clothes were size small, but many would fit two of me. One of my friends got married and had a baby while still in college, and we wore the same stuff! The only difference was that I wore a belt with mine.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
hey, the 80s were fun (says the 70s baby!) - you're right - all of those really really baggy tops, but over skinny pants...

Hmmmmm. doesn't help me cover my belly now though...or my cleavage - seems as though I have to choose between one and the other

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi- sorry for jumping in here but for some reason I was thinking about maternity clothes today (I'm not even pregnant) and what I did for my last pregnancy, and then I saw this thread.

My belly was HUGE and I had a hard time keeping it covered and I hated pulling the maternity pants up over my belly, so I ended up buying a regular non-maternity tank dress that fit me like a long, tight shirt and that I could wear by itself or under my shirts once it got cooler.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancies!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I recently started to outgrow all of my clothes. Shirts especially they just ride up over my belly. DH thinks its cute, I find it annoying and I find it even more annoying during the week when I have to try to find something to wear to work. I'm down to stretchy gaucho pants and shirts -- anything long. I surely don't want to go spend money on more maternity clothes at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
My shirts aren't really covering my belly anymore either. The shirts that fit best (are the longest) are from babystyle. The shirts from the gap are really short. I also don't like the panel on my jeans to show, so I need a really long maternity shirt to cover that. I don't wear any of the "tent" type shirts, only tight fitting, and I'd really like to cover all my skin, but it's getting harder and harder.

Lex

·
Registered
184 Posts
It gets a little hot sometimes, but I wear a Bella Band over my belly and the top part of my maternity shorts. Since all my maternity shirts are too short (boobs + belly)...the Bella Band sticks out underneath the shirts. It ends up just looking like I have a second shirt on underneath....without actually having to wear a full second shirt over my boobs....that is, if I could find one long enough. You might not like the "look" of two shirts, but it's working for me so far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.