Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9,064 Posts
DNA testing isn't going to prove current health. Yes, if he was required to have his heart health monitored I could see that for the job. I can see this for a few other jobs.

This is horrible. Everyone has something genetically unpleasent about us.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Would it not go against all the privacy laws now in place. I mean if someone has a predisposition to schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder then they could be refused jobs. I do not get how this guy claims that that is not discrimination just b/c someone will eventually fill the job. Doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
There is no doubt that the time will come in the very near future in which DNA testing for the likelihood of all sorts of diseases -- and even personality traits and lifestyle choices -- will be affordable enough to be used on everyone from minimum-wage workers on up to those under multimillion-dollar contracts.

And it will be a good thing.

That is just truly horrifying if it ever happens.

· Registered
17,579 Posts
He never said it's not discriminatory. He specifically says that it is but that's okay by him.

I don't care if you are getting $6.5 million or $6.50/hour this is weird and scary. Don't give people a chance to succeed... if the odds are good they will fail, lets just cut to the chase, label them failures and get on with things!

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
When you spend $65 million on an athlete, I believe the owner's do have a right for DNA testing.

But for people who make under $65 million a year, no way!
But that is how it always begins.

I worked for a school district that drug tested everyone upon the commencement of employment and then randomly after that because ONE tenured teacher was caught snorting something in the classroom as the principal walked by - talk about timing!

I HAD TO ENDURE the indignity of urinating into a cup because some one else was irresponsible! It was not my fault, but why did I have to do this...?

As for DNA testing, I could already tell what I am at risk for since I cared for my Grandparents and Parents in their last days...cancer, diabetes, are killers, but some common sense and nutrition can lessen or negate them for me; we have been told for the last 40 years it is nurture, not nature, that helps people grow and form their ideas, and now science is going for the nature form to discriminate against our physical beings?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.