Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I am looking for fun outside ideas/toys/activities for my almost 10 year old son. For the first time we finally have a yard of our very own and we want to give him some goodies to enjoy out there. He's an only child as well so I really want them to be things he can do by himself. Also, sadly we have no trees so tire swings and the like are a no go. Please share any ideas! I am all about him using his imagination, but I want to give him some tools to help encourage that. Thanks!! Everything I'm finding for his age on pinterest needs a tree.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
I've never tried this, but how about a ground based fort? You could use pallets and things to nail together into little 'rooms'.

When I was that age we had a tetherball. Ideally tetherball is played with two, but I used to spend lots of time hitting it to myself to get better at it.

A small pool, even a large baby pool could be fun for cooling off. There are also cool sprinkler attachments these days for hoses that would be fun to run through with or without a friend.

Does he have friends nearby to play with?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never tried this, but how about a ground based fort? You could use pallets and things to nail together into little 'rooms'.

When I was that age we had a tetherball. Ideally tetherball is played with two, but I used to spend lots of time hitting it to myself to get better at it.

A small pool, even a large baby pool could be fun for cooling off. There are also cool sprinkler attachments these days for hoses that would be fun to run through with or without a friend.

Does he have friends nearby to play with?
Thank you for the ideas! I love the idea of a fort. I will have to see if I can find anywhere giving away pallets because I think he would love that.

He has a sprinkler and for Easter we got him a slip and slide. Sadly the weather has been a bit out there so no water activities just yet.

He does have a few but not terribly close. We plan on having plenty of playdates in the summer but sometimes he just wants to go outside and have fun and I see him just standing there. It makes me so sad.

Thank you again for the help!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update: We ran to Walmart and Dollar Tree and found a few goodies. I ended up making him a cool tent for the yard out of tomato spikes, twine and shower curtains! It cost about $15 to make and he has already spent about 3 hours in their today reading and snuggling with the dog. We also got paints, targets for nerf and water guns and dice for outside Yahtzee!

Keep the ideas coming, please!!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
How about horseshoes? That's kind of fun to do alone or with others.

A bean teepee could be really cool. Magic Cabin even sells a frame to make a bean plant hideout.

A disc or tire swing, or handlebar type swing for spinning on.

A hammock for relaxing, reading.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about horseshoes? That's kind of fun to do alone or with others.

A bean teepee could be really cool. Magic Cabin even sells a frame to make a bean plant hideout.

A disc or tire swing, or handlebar type swing for spinning on.

A hammock for relaxing, reading.
Thank you for the ideas! I think we will definitely get horseshoes and what is that game called - corn hole? Something like that?

Love the idea of a bean plant hideout! I'll have to check into it.

We have a swinging bench on the front porch but I'd love a hammock in the yard. I'll have to see if we can figure out a good spot for that. Or maybe even some lounging chairs. Hmm. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts