Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm 13 weeks pregnant and apparently i have 2 ovarian cysts on my left ovary which are growing instead of shrinking in size (already had 2 ultrasounds). they're small right now (the biggest is 2.5cm), but i'm being referred to a OBGYN because of their shape and what's inside. apparently they're not a round shape like they should be and they're not fluid filled like they should be. i guess when they have strange shapes and are filled with stuff other than fluid, they're worried they could be malignant. i don't see the OBGYN until June. does anyone have experience or knowledge about this? i didn't have cysts with either of my previous pregnancies...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you want the whole sorid tale? How about let's start with after the removal of the cyst, I have had a totally normal and healthy pregnancy.<br>
I wouldn't jump to "malignant" just yet. I had a cyst that was 13 cm at 7 weeks, and put me in the ER at 12 weeks because it had grown to about 16 cm. The most incredible pain I have ever experienced in my life. I had to have surgery to have it removed, and what they removed what nothing short of bizarre. The cyst had necrofied (something like that)- it was solid, all dead tissue. But it was not cancerous at all. Just a big dead thing. It did totally destroy my ovary and fallopian tube, but the other ovary and tube are unaffected.<br>
The doctors told me at 7 weeks that they do like to take a "wait and see attitude" towards the things because it is still possible that they will start shrinking on their own. However, if it starts causing you severe pain, go to the ER. That usually means the cyst has turned itself and has cut off its own blood supply. They have to be taken out. Again, I had surgery, but my baby was fine. I was really scared (after the drugs wore off) that it was something cancerous, but it was something freakish looking and nothing more.<br>
The only bothersome things about it for me was that no one can tell me what caused it. Because cysts start out as little pouches of progesterone, I lean towards blaming it on years of only semi-monitored use of fertility drugs (we were moving a lot, the doctors didn't consult one another, just kept giving me clomid).<br>
I know it's hard not to be, but please try not to be worried yet. Ovarian cancer is really rare, especially if you're young. If you find you are in terrible pain, or your doctor is "waiting and seeing" longer than you're comfortable with, consult someone else. Take care.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've had a cyst removed, not while pregnant, and another 2 burst! They are quite painfull and if you feel a strong twisting or burning on your side get to ER because it could be pulling at your ovary.<br><br>
I have developed a few more cyst in the past few years and have shrunk them all with accupuncture. It's worth a try?<br><br>
I agree try not to worry cyst can be very very common!!<br><br>
My love and healing sent your way!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts