Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how to clean my oven without using toxic chemicals? Lots of stuff burned onto the bottom, and it smells bad whenever we light the oven. It's an electric oven, "self-cleaning" type, FWIW. I've actually never cleaned an oven before.
:

Should I just go in there with a scrub brush and some Bon Ami? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I'm currently cleaning my oven with a vinegar and water solution, with a bit of dish liquid added to help cut the grease. It's working okay. I spray it on really thick and let it sit for an hour or so before I start scrubbing, and that helps loosen the gunk. I can feel comfortable letting it sit like that since I know that what's in there isn't giving off any dangerous fumes.

: I will admit, though, that when I moved out of my old apartment the oven was in a sad state, and I tried everything "natural" anyone could suggest, and had no luck. I finally resorted to commercial oven cleaner, and made DH do the job while DD and I left the house (I was first trimester then). I had just neglected the job for too long for anything else to work, and they were gonna fine me if I left it dirty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.