Mothering Forum banner

oven disaster -- need help

521 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  boo-bearsmom 
#1 ·
Score one for the toddler, who snuck an undetermined number of plastic sippy cups and perhaps other items into the oven when I wasn't looking. Turned on the oven to heat dinner, and soon had a smouldering mass of melted plastic and horrible fumes. Poison control tells me the fumes are not toxic, just irritating. I hope that is true. Many fans going, all windows open.

However: how to get the plastic mess (no longer goo, not quite brittle either) out of the bottom of the oven so that it is useable again without emitting noxious fumes every time? Some of it peels up, some does not.

I'd especially love suggestions for effective cleaning methods/materials that are not in themselves noxious, but honestly, I really want whatever is really going to remove this horrible mess.

Alternately, I'd love to know of internet sites that might address this cleanup problem, or where to get an oven lock that actually works -- we have tried 4 different types with no luck.

#2 ·
Oh, mama, I've BTDT.... a couple of times!!! My youngest went through a period where she liked to put things in the oven. There were a couple of things that we couldn't identify, as well as just WEIRD things... like a tube of toothpaste.

Anyway.... my solution to getting everything off the bottom of the oven was to scrape everything off with a metal spatula. Then we turned on the oven (HOT), opened all the windows, and spent the day outside. The icky plastic stuff all burned to a crisp. So much easier to do in the summer than in a MN winter!!!! Quite honestly, I didn't want to use toxic chemicals to try and get the oven clean. I've gone through this a few times (hopefully it will never happen again), and this is the best solution I found.

Oh, and I never got an oven lock.... I just got into the habit of looking in the oven EVERY TIME before I turned it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.