Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I'm new to the board and have a 1 month old baby.
I am uncomfortable to BF in public for one main reason....my milk supply is in over abundance. I'm so happy that I'm producing well, however, I have to seriously pay attention to the boobies or else I hose the baby down, or soak my cloths. Will this production get a grip soon or will my hosing down effect continue in the months ahead?

Also, are there any moms out there that have to supplement with formula after going back to work? I have been told my production will go down after my schedule changes...though I will be able to pump at work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My supply finally figured it's self out around 2 or 3 months (can't really remember for sure.) I still leaked and wore nursing pads until about 8 months, but I didn't spray my daughter with such enthusiasm, lol.

As for work, I have no clue. I've never been in that situation. Are you pumping now to build up a nice frozen stash?

Good luck and congratulations on your little boy!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't have much advice for you because I had low supply issues, but I did have to wear lilypadz (www.lilypadz.com) until DS was about a year old. You will probably get more responses if you cross-post this on the Breastfeeding and/or Life With a Babe boards. Welcome to MDC and congratulations on your new baby!!

Hope you're getting enough sleep!

Laura

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Welcome & congratulations!

I think my supply evened out in the second month, so that I didn't leak as much, but I did use nursing pads til ds was nearly a year old. Your supply will probably level out over the next several weeks, but nursing pads are a must.

There is a lot of great info on nursing while working outside the home at the LLL site - here is a page with some articles you can read.

http://lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html

Kellymom.com is another excellent source for answers to bf questions that I've found helpful as well.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I was able to pump enough for my 2 older boys no problem after I got a good pump (Medela Pump in Style or Ameda Purely Yours) All the other pumping moms I've worked w/ also didn't supplement.

Youll probably quit spraying in a month or 2 but there's no guarantee on that one. nak

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to you.

I hose down the kiddo everytime he latches on, and in public if I'm not careful with nursing pads (doubling' 'em up), I will literally spray through my clothing. It doesn't just get wet, there's a stream and beads of milk spewing forth!

I was told it would go away after a 6W, and it hasn't yet and doesn't show any signs of letting up. But I'm only 8W out right now.

As for work, I got a quality pump (medela PIS) and I'm lucky to pump several times a day. I'm producing about 3x what DS eats while I'm away, so it goes into storage. Now that storage is well over 200 oz, I'm looking to donate my extra.

I'm also worried about losing my supply because of being away from DS, so I maintain that storage. I figured that if I start to lose my supply I'll pump one side while nursing on the other at night and on the weekends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

I do have the Medela PIS, thank goodness! That was the best purchase ever...besides having diapers on hand! I have been slowly building storage recently because the BM is only good in the freezer for 3 months (I don't have a deep freezer) and I am taking a total of 4 months off.

I will take the advice of pumping one side while feeding on the other. I tend to have to wake up early hours to pump to get some relief from the engorgement if the little fellow does not feed enough with wake up feedings.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
My spray went away around a year. Though If I dont nurse for awahile I still get it but not the force that you have right now. It will get better. Your supply will go down if you dont stick to a good pumping schedule when you get back to work. When I went back very PT when my DD was 3 monthes I pumped at least every 3 hours ( I was about to burst at that) but now its every 5hours she is over a year though
. Dont worry you will do fine and get working mother nusing mother book that will help too! Good luck!

Elizabeth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.