Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anythingi can go to help my 2 week ds deal with my overactive letdown, he is miserable and cannot get a good latch because he has to unlatch and gag 10 or more times before he get enough and falls alseep. I also dont wanna pump because i do not want to increase me supply- i can feed a whole family.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Try nursing with baby "uphill" from the boob, like recline your body when you nurse if that makes any sense. When you feel that letdown, unlatch baby and let the excess run out, once it calms down, relatch baby. Good luck, I had to deal with this too!

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Another OALer here! We would nurse lying down. We also had oversupply which likes to go hand in hand with the OAL to add to the fun so we block fed also. Oh, and take a gander at http://www.kellymom.com if you haven't already for more good info. Good luck mama!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacatsbaby
Another OALer here! We would nurse lying down. We also had oversupply which likes to go hand in hand with the OAL to add to the fun so we block fed also. Oh, and take a gander at http://www.kellymom.com if you haven't already for more good info. Good luck mama!

thats what i'm doing and its working

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had the same problem, things have calmed down a bit as dd has gotten bigger and my supply has leveled out. I wanted to mention in addition to letting the milk flow into the burp rag, hand express a bit as the amount of the milk begins to slow. For me that really helped decrease the force of the letdown when dd would latch back on. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be, dd would have milk pouring out her nose everytime she nursed, just from the force. It's annoying to have attack boobies isn't it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Be glad you recognize the issue so soon.
I had no idea what OAL was for so long and my poor baby was so gassy and miserable at the breast.

We nurse almost exclusively in the side lying position and when he was younger, I would pop him off when my milk let down to spray it into a burp rag then put him back on when the force slowed down. I also am a one-sided feeder. I feed him from one breast for 3 hours then switch to the other for 3 hours. It helps with the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Now that he's a little older, he handles it much better. And since I WOH and have an oversupply to go with my OAL, I have a killer freezer stash.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Hey....I thought I was the only one. The other posters said exactly what I did. My DD would gasp and gag and scream. If sitting up I would either pump until let down (like a couple seconds) then let it shoot into a cloth for a while then let her latch on. Laying down I let her lay on my chest and latch on. She is 22 months old and laying down is still her favorite! I also liked it because she could nurse through the night without waking me up!! I love sleep!!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know there was a name for it! My poor DD pops off and gets sprayed regularly. I've been letting it flow into a burp rag as well. Sometimes though I leave huge puddles on the bed!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I always keep an urp rag or towel around...and dd is now 16 months! She and I practically swam in milk for the first 3 months. At least it's good for the skin, right?

Your babe will figure it out and as they get bigger it wont be such a big deal, but using a towel to soak up the initial let down is a good idea, as is nursing "up hill" as pp mentioned. I found also that if I took a hot shower first and let my breasts "drain a bit" (not pumping or trying to express, just hanging out in the shower) then dd had an easier time of it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I had bad over active let-down . Block feeding is what finally REALLY helped. It was so bad I remember crying b/c it was such a struggle. I had to search the net to get info on it, I wish people were more aware of it!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Same thing here. DS only chokes occasionally though, he just has to swallow a bit more often and sometimes has trouble catching his breath. Every now and then he'll pop off to get air and get sprayed in the eye for his trouble. I just keep a "milk rag" handy, and have one of those bed pads from the hospital to put on the bed if we need it.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
We always nurse side lying, and my DS2 figured out really quick to stimulate let-down, pop off while it sprays everywhere, then pop back on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoS
Hey....I thought I was the only one. The other posters said exactly what I did. My DD would gasp and gag and scream. If sitting up I would either pump until let down (like a couple seconds) then let it shoot into a cloth for a while then let her latch on.
Same here. Now at 3 months my boob are 'regulated' and it does not spray into his face like it used to. I never thought that when I was told that sometimes your boobs would spray they actually could....how wrong was I?

A.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also had the same thing. I did side lying and also reclined while nursing him. We are now at 3 1/2 mo and about 2 wks ago things seemed to regulate.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Wow....great advice from everyone! I had the same issue...Around 3 1/2 months, my hormone levels became more "stable" and the milk oversupply and super overactive letdown evened out. Now, at 4 mos, I still get a big spray if ds pulls away, but he can cope with it without any complaints. Sometimes in the early morning (when my boobs are really full) I still will spray into a burp cloth.

Yes, it's great that you figured this out before it became a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance issue!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts