Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been talking to tons of people about my funky milk and few people mentioned that their babies are on a smaller side. a friend of mine asked "do you think that is the reason your girls were/are on the smaller end".<br><br>
so here is my question - if you have overactive lipase in your milk (your milk starts smelling soapy, or goes "bad" quicker than regular "rules, due to overactive enzyme that breaks down fats) is your baby on the lower end of the weight chart?<br><br>
my dd#1 was falling off the charts and she ate all the time. i though i didn't have enough milk and maybe that was part of the reason.<br><br>
my dd#2 has been in 25% since birth (i think she might be in 10% currently).<br><br>
it would be a great research project - i wish i knew where i could pass the idea to.<br><br>
thoughts?<br>
branka

·
Registered
152 Posts
nak...<br><br>
dunno. we have overactive lipase, and my boy's a chunkster. he's in the 95th perc. interesting to see where everyone elses babes are!

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
No. I have not seen any connection with over-active lipase and low weight gain or failure to thrive babies.<br><br>
The fats in your milk, if delivered directly at the breast, would be normal and nutritious. If you scald your milk after pumping, it should prevent the soapy smell/taste, and maintain fat integrity. Even if you did not scald, and baby drank it (some do not mind the taste), it would still be the same fat, just somewhat pre-digested.<br><br>
It would not be low-fat, and therefore less nutritious.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I found it's not a permanent problems. Somewhere around the 2 mo mark we had the lipase problem but after that it went away. BTW dd is about the 25% percentile for weight. But if the lipase problem comes and goes, I don't see how it can relate to low weight gain.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
DD just had 4 month check-up today, and is 15 lbs=75% for weight. (Not sure which charts they are using and don't care, since her health and happiness are apparent if you are within earshot of "Screetcher.")<br><br>
And she has reflux/spits up LOTS, so there doesn't seem to be any connection between the two for us, anyway.<br><br>
What * I personally * have wondered about is her "fullness factor." It seems to me that if too much/overactive lipase is basically digesting the fats for her, she probably feels hungry faster than she would if I didn't have this issue. Of course, I have no proof whatsoever of this- just my own little hypothesis.<br><br>
Not wanting to highjack your thread, but maybe people could share thoughts on both of these things?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts