Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My dd is a fairly heavy wetter at night, and while we have found a solution to keep her from leaking at night, her diaper hurts my nose (and her skin I suspect, though it isn't irriatated looking) by morning. Why is her urine turning to amonia so fast?

We use 1 diaper with 2 hemparoos and a bummis SWW. I launder about every 3-4 days and I use ammonia in the rinse cycle.

I suspect that the hemparoos are the problem for some reason, but I don't know what to do differently.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I suspect you mean you use vinegar in the rinse, not ammonia?

This is a common problem with thick, multilayered hemp items. You can try all sort of stripping methods, using different detergent or wash methods, and lots of things will help reduce the problem, but I have found that boiling the inserts for at least 10 minutes at a full boil helps the most. I have personally gotten tired of boiling all our thick hemp and have decided to opt for the occasional use of chlorine bleach on the offending items. Unfortunately, the results were outstanding with bleach.
: Don't use bleach unless you are at your ropes end, though. There are a lot of very good reasons not to use it.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Christie~ I have not heard of using ammonia in the rinse cycle, but I have heard of using vinegar. It sounds like you may have a detergent build up in your hemp. I would try a cold wash w/ a little bit of detergent and then a hot wash w/ no det... see if you get suds in the hot water. If you do get suds, you need to get them out! Keep doing hot washes or rinses until you don't see suds. Some of us use Calgon water softner in the wash water to help release the detergent build up.

HTH~

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Julie, there is something I'd like to ask you and everyone out there who has been using very thick, multilayered hemp items for a while....
Do you not have any strong ammonia odor in the am? So far I have not heard someone say, "I have Joey Bunz... or Premium Samuel's Soakers, or Hemparoos, etc. etc.... and have been using them for several months, and don't notice much ammonia smell on mine..."
I've heard many mamas say "I don't have a stink problem", but then go on to say that ammonia odor is normal in the morning, or go on to say they don't have any thick mutilayered hemp.... kwim?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kermit
Julie, there is something I'd like to ask you and everyone out there who has been using very thick, multilayered hemp items for a while....
Do you not have any strong ammonia odor in the am?
Sometimes there is a strong ammonia smell, but that's when I know it's time to use some Calgon. It happens in cycles for me, kwim? Use the hemp for a while until it gets build up, then it stinks, then I Calgon, then it is ok. We get ammonia smell in other night dipes too, not just hemp.

Did that answer your question? I feel like I'm not really making sense...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I was told by one of our well known WAHM's to use a little bleach on the hemp inserts from time to time. Just throw them in with your whites. My hemp was gettting really stinky and nothing i mean nothing was doing the trick until i put them in with my whites.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Do you not have any strong ammonia odor in the am? So far I have not heard someone say, "I have Joey Bunz... or Premium Samuel's Soakers, or Hemparoos, etc. etc.... and have been using them for several months, and don't notice much ammonia smell on mine..."
I've heard many mamas say "I don't have a stink problem", but then go on to say that ammonia odor is normal in the morning, or go on to say they don't have any thick mutilayered hemp.... kwim?
I do think that ammonia odor can be "normal", as I notice it more when Noah sleeps for longer than usual (he's usually an 8-10 hours/night toddler, but can go up to 12) and I also notice it more when he is teething (particularly his first year molars and 2nd year molars). But ammonia stink is not "normal" for me in the sense that it is routine: most days when I take off his night time diaper, there is not a knock-out ammonia odor. But then again, my hemp is not "very thick", or not as thick as the 7 layers in the Joey or the 6 (?) layers in the SS. I do suspect that makes a difference in the stinky hemp problem.

One thing that I think helps combat stink problems, that I would try before bleach, is washing soda (an ingredient in most laundry detergents, I think). It is more caustic than baking soda but that is also why it is more effective. I find that adding a bit of it (like 1/8 cup) to my cold soak/wash (warm or hot water would boost its effectiveness, but also its ability to eat away at cloth and elastic) does wonders for removing stains and stink.

But I also think that it doesn't make sense that thick hemp is always to blame if there is ammonia smell in the morning after a long night's sleep in that diaper. I once followed my toddler around when he was naked with a tupperware container to catch some of his pee (which, when I finally managed to, was reacted to with great delight, so it had good entertainment value too). I put the lid on the container but did not seal it (I was trying to mimic pee "standing" in a diaper that would breathe, but basically was enclosed). I left it in my gas oven all night (pilot light keeps it just a bit warm in there, probably lower than body temperature). When I removed it from the oven the next morning and took the lid off, I got quite a knock-out ammonia odor. My conclusion:

Pee Stinks!

Karla

Karla

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lifetapestry
Pee Stinks!
:LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

Um, yep, I use VINEGAR in my rinse cycle.

Wow! what a discussion here. Thanks so much for the quick response and information!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Well, let me be more specific:
DS is in a diaper for 9 hours at night, not 12 or more, first of all.
He often doesn't pee in the diaper for several hours. I've changed him when going to bed at 1am when his last change was around 10pm, and the diaper was still dry, so he isn't necessarily sitting in a wet diaper for the whole 9 hours, kwim?
I do believe some ammonia smell is normal, but NOT the burn your nose type. I haven't bleached those hemp items again for a few weeks, and they have not yet gotten as bad as they were before I bleached them, but then again, I was not using special stripping methods on them before I bleached them. I found it to be a ridiculous thing to have to go through so many tedious measures just to improve the condition (and not cure it).
I have very soft water and a very expensive softener that doesn't just add salt, but removes minerals from the water. I've also tried adding baking soda, Borax, doing Oxygen bleach soaks.... So I'm kinda doubtful that adding Calgon is all I need to get rid of my stinky thick hemp problem. I just can't bring myself to try it. I wish I could go over to someone's house and smell their "not stinky" hemp in the morning and see if their definition is the same as mine. LOLOL

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Karla. Seems like the older ds gets the more stinky his pee is. His overnight diaper frequently reeks of ammonia in the morning and I am almost positive that it isn't a buildup issue. Let me put it this way. Dh frequently gets up in the night to pee and he doesn't bother to flush the toilet. He does it in the morning when he gets ready for work. But on his days off I am in the first one in the bathroom and it stinks! I know dh might pee more than ds does but dh's pee is diluted in water and it still stinks like crazy. So to me it seems like this is just something normal.

To the OP, if you think this may be bothering your dd's skin you can consider using a barrier cream at night. Anything but Desitin or A&D ointment should work. I like Aquaphor for a barrier or Common Sense diaper rash cream for a full on rash. I don't use something every night, I usually put a thin layer of Aquaphor on ds if he is a little red at bedtime.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
washing soda

a word about the washing soda- this past diaper rotation, my dd was potty training well and i tried the washing soda last wash, so i can't say anything definitive until we wash again, but the laundry was really *strikingly* more pleasant than usual

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
I wish I could go over to someone's house and smell their "not stinky" hemp in the morning and see if their definition is the same as mine. LOLOL
Oh, come over any time and smell my dipes.

But, let me ask you this: is the stinkiness a problem besides burning your nose when you take off the dipe? As in, is your baby's skin more red or otherwise troubled when you have stinky hemp? Or does the stink wake you up in the middle of the night (as it did for sombody not that long ago, I think it was oceanbaby)?

Karla

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
It does wake me up in the night when it gets worse.
If it was normal, and just how pee smells, then boiling them wouldn't solve the problem, would it?
Although it burns my nose and wakes me up, and causes a huge stink to flood the room whenever I open the diaper pail, it has not given my son red skin, so I have to assume it does not hurt him.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
It does wake me up in the night when it gets worse.
If it was normal, and just how pee smells, then boiling them wouldn't solve the problem, would it?
Although it burns my nose and wakes me up, and causes a huge stink to flood the room whenever I open the diaper pail, it has not given my son red skin, so I have to assume it does not hurt him.
Holly, I'm not trying to convince you that you don't have a stinky hemp problem, I'm just trying to understand what it includes.

Re. the boiling "cure", the boiling may simply be coincidental to the lack of stinkies, sort of like how some people report that switching to disposables cures a yeast rash. My experience with stinky dipes is that I have never had consistently stinky dipes that suggested it was a dipe problem as opposed to a pee problem. If I wash three dipes that I use for nighttime in the same loads, and only one out of the three stinks, then I'm fairly convinced that I've got a stinky pee problem rather than a stinky dipe problem. Again, I'm not saying that your experience = my experience and I have zero investment in being "right" about stinky (or not) hemp. But this conversation evolved because you expressed skepticism that someone could not have stinky hemp, and I don't think that I ever have had such a problem, even with dipes that are 5-7 layers of hemp fleece.

Karla

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lifetapestry
I left it in my gas oven all night (pilot light keeps it just a bit warm in there, probably lower than body temperature). When I removed it from the oven the next morning and took the lid off, I got quite a knock-out ammonia odor. My conclusion:

Pee Stinks!
Karla~ I officially award you w/ the "Cloth Diaper Geek Award" for the month of September.
It takes someone totally dedicated to cloth to do an experiment that involves putting pee in an oven. Kudos to you!!!

You know I love ya Karla!!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pb_and_j
Karla~ I officially award you w/ the "Cloth Diaper Geek Award" for the month of September.

You know I love ya Karla!!!
Aw, how sweet. I do so miss the Cloth Diaper Geek beneath my mdcname.

Right back atcha, babe,
Karla

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
just for the record we use UBCPF at night and get amonia stink in morning. It doesn't happen at any other time of day and seems to vary from night to night. I'm pretty sure it might be related to dd's diet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts