Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf decided against the dog sight unseen and decided on a border collie mix from a rescue group. She gets along with kids, cats, and dogs. She is 2 yo and overweight. She came home today with a bag of science diet light :puke

I'm not a kibble feeder. I feed raw. (I just bought 200lbs of leg quarters for 39 cents a pound! Score!!) When we move in together his dog will get switched to raw, but for now he wants to stick to kibbles. So which kibbles are good and will help with weight loss.

Oh she is also heart worm positive and will be receiveing treatment so exercise is out of the equation for now

Also any advice with helping her body cope with the medication that they are going to be dumping in to her?

TIA

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Well, raw really would help her body cope with the drugs best, that said, when it comes to helping the body cleanse itself, as kibbles go, I like Solid Gold. I've also NEVER been able to keep weight ON a dog using Solid Gold, so that would also be a good choice for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I have also used solid gold... and although I really do think it is the best dog food out there, (really helps with coat and overall health) my dog always had a hard time pooping while on it(TMI?) So when I could actually afford to feed him solid gold, I always had to mix it with a grainier food (i.e. nutro, california naturals) so he wouldn't strain too much.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I once tried to put a dog on a diet dog food routine... know what happened? He looked for extra calories in the GARBAGE. My dog was NEVER ever a dog to get into the garbage can- and that stinking experiment ruined him! Now he goes in the garbage for fun even if he's not hungry.

I think raw is fine and I don't think that her weight is an emergency that needs to be fixed at the same time she moves to a new home and gets heartworm treatment!

She is such a CUTIE!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is a trash digger and we also found out a can opener. lol who would have thought that a dog would eat into an unopened can of black beans.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by livinzoo View Post
... who would have thought that a dog would eat into an unopened can of black beans.
OMG!laughup

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by livinzoo View Post
She is a trash digger and we also found out a can opener. lol who would have thought that a dog would eat into an unopened can of black beans.
Whew! I'd hate to be downwind from that dog for the next couple fo days. Doggie gas is bad enough without adding the beans
:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.