Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!<br><br>
I have been reading this forum and some of the older posts. I am still confused about what type of cloth diapers are best for my situation...mind you, I am not due until September, but want to be prepared!<br><br>
Okay, so we really cannot afford a huge investment. I look at AIOs and Pockets and they are adorable, but it would seem that that would be a lot of money since you have to buy various sizes. Plus newborns need to be changed more often. Then I saw the Bum Genius One Size and that seemed like an option, but I have read mixed reviews.<br><br>
I also saw the gdiapers. I wouldn't use the disposable inserts, but rather cloth inserts. It seems like this would be the least expensive way to go since there is a liner and you don't have to buy so many covers, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this.<br><br>
Are there any other options I'm missing? I have been looking into this for weeks and am still confused.<br><br>
I guess the bottom line is: What is the most cost-effective, easiest way to cloth diaper? The options seem really daunting.<br><br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
Shannon

·
Registered
854 Posts
The cheapest method by far is prefold with a litewrap cover. The covers are like $7.00 new and can be found used online. The prefold range in cost from about $1.00 to $3.00 a peice but I saw a lday on St. Louis craigslist selling her stash for .50 cents a peice.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Prefolds and covers are the most economical. If you buy newborn prefolds when they become too small you can use them as doublers or inserts later. You can even sew some of your covers from wool or fleece sweaters if you have a sewing machine.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Prefolds and covers are cheapest, but BumGenius would be easier. You can also use a combination of both if you can't afford a whole stash of BumGenius. I'd at least look at a BumGenius in person if you can before you decide.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The bumGenius are easy, but I am now a total convert to prefolds and wraps. I've used both (I still use both), and the prefolds just offer so much more flexibility. With bGs, you can't use any creams or anything on the baby's bum, which sucked when we had thrush, and you can adjust the fit with the tabs, but you can adjust a prefold fit in so many more ways.<br><br>
By all means, try a bG, but I am so totally sold on prefolds from now on. Plus, they are easier to clean and dry faster, so they cost less in energy (unless you line dry).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tell me about it!! But, before you know it you will find your groove at you try some different types out. I personally wouldn't waste your time on the gdiapers. I bought some for my newborn and didn't even really use them and they aren't very good for containing the blow-outs.<br><br>
I definitely would encourage you to buy some pre-folds, because I have learned to love them over all the other options. I still like the convenience of the AIO when I am out and about though. I like the fitted too, but they outgrow them so quickly in the beginning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts