Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that DS is eating less milk and more... "normal" food I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. (And it's been going on since he weaned to almost no milk, really.)

I worry so much (and I'm sure we all do) that he's getting enough vitamins, etc.

He's SUCH a picky eater though. And he's so... gosh I don't know the word! For example, the kid has adored bananas since the first bite at like 11 months, and now he BEGS for them (at 20 months) but he won't eat it. Just play with it, carry it around, or worse throw it/mush it into the carpet.

I'm going kind of nuts here, and have been reading the boards for awhile looking for ideas... we don't eat meat, mostly because I'm kinda crazy and think about baby animals and sorta gross myself out of it. My husband supports this odd-reason for vegetarianism, heh. Anyway, looking for advice, support, recipes, that kinda stuff.

How do you make sure they get enough to eat? I read that as long as it averages out over the course of a few days it's alright: any truth to that? Any tips for ... making them eat? When you know they're hungry, they just want you to break out the crackers?

·
Registered
846 Posts
subbing because I'm struggling with the same thing with my son. Particularly the part about asking for a favorite food and then not eating it. That one really frustrates me. I hate to see the food just going to waste and I want him to learn good eating habbit. But...I end up feeling like he doesn't eat well so if he's asking for food I better give it to him in the hopes that he does eat.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moistangel

He's SUCH a picky eater though. And he's so... gosh I don't know the word! For example, the kid has adored bananas since the first bite at like 11 months, and now he BEGS for them (at 20 months) but he won't eat it. Just play with it, carry it around, or worse throw it/mush it into the carpet.

I give my daughter 1/4 of a banana and if she eats that I give her more. That way if she isn't interested I can eat the rest or refrigerate it for next time.

When my dd was close to weaning I worried too. On weeks she seemed extra picky I gave her a liquid multivitamin. I also kept offering a variety of foods and tried to look at the big picture over the day.

I also notice the phases she goes thru. She loved carrots for awhile and then stopped completely. I keep eating them in front of her and offering them occassionally...she surprised me today by asking for some carrots too and then for seconds and then thirds.

My dd is a little over 3 and slowly getting less picky. At age 1 she wasn't picky at all and then gradually grew pickier and pickier and just now starting to be less so.

I also try to respect her...that she knows when her belly is full. And that if I offer a variety of healthy foods she will pick the ones she needs. She has gone thru phases where fruits and veggies have made up most of her diet and then grains and then protein. I do sneak stuff in sometimes...like when she was in her fruit & veggie phase I would serve hummus to dip the veggies in and I snuck yogurt into the fruit popsicles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
YOu have asked one of the million dollar mommy questions! Don't look at each meal or even day as being balanced, but look at a few days or a week. They WILL start eating and when they do, you'll wish it was a bit less. Grocery bills at my house have sky-rocketed!!

I hide veggies and fruits in things and put out a snack tray of things I let them eat so they can eat all day long on 'good' stuff.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Do a search for "toddler's snack tray" -- there's a huge thread on this board for ideas. My little guy loves the snack tray, and it's a great thing b/c it incorporates some of the "tricks" that have really worked for us, getting the picky toddler to eat more/better:

1. snacky things, not "meals"
2. finger foods/portable foods/foods that can be dipped
3. just leaving the food available and letting him choose when to eat, as opposed to sitting him down and serving him at a specific time (although we do enforce dinner, or try to, but that's more about family time than the food. usually he's eaten/nibbled already by the time DP and I eat. So most of his food is done on an adhoc basis
)
4. a variety of foods to choose from -- toddlers are all about choice

If/when you can get your DC involved in helping you make their food, that will really help. My DS will eat just about anything he's had a hand in making or serving. He snaps green beans in half, shells fresh peas, peels hard-boiled eggs, cuts bananas or avocados with a butter knife, mixes yogurt and honey and fruit for a fruit salad, mixes/stirs other dishes (like potato or mac salad, dips, etc.), puts veggies on pizza, puts together sandwiches, washes veggies and fruits, and so on.

Of course, there have been many times when he's lived on crackers, milk and/or air.
It's hard not to stress about it, but I also find that the bigger of a deal I make about him eating, the less he eats. So I try to relax and trust that his body knows what it needs and wants, and he can choose his own foods, so long as I serve healthful stuff.

HTH!

ETA: Don't forget smoothies, a mama's best friend. You can "sneak" all kinds of good stuff in there, and kids generally love them because they're fruity and sweet and portable in a sippy cup. Freeze leftovers into popsicles, and you have another "treat" that's actually really good for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts