Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leg cramp woke both me AND DH up (because it was a real doozy) last night...

Funny thing, I havn't been injesting *that* much calcium. Well before bed I had a big tub o Yogurt but hey that stuff is so good if you start ya cant stop..

What causes those insane cramps? How can I make them not happen...

My poor calf still hurts today..feels like there's a knife in it each time I take a step...It's a muscle thing, no worries...if it were a clot my toes would be numb and they aren't..

I had severe leg cramps last pregnancy too...

*sniffle* They hurt.....time to pick up the good ol Tiger Balm *sigh*

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well, when that happened to me when I was pregnant it WAS the calcium...I cut back and the cramps went away. I wish I had better advice for you, mama...
I know it really sucks. I was miserable when I had those leg cramps!

Hot baths never hurt...

(edited to say, well, WARM baths never hurt...I guess hot water isn't really good for pregnancy, but you knew that!
)

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
Well, when that happened to me when I was pregnant it WAS the calcium...I cut back and the cramps went away. I wish I had better advice for you, mama...
I know it really sucks. I was miserable when I had those leg cramps!

Hot baths never hurt...

(edited to say, well, WARM baths never hurt...I guess hot water isn't really good for pregnancy, but you knew that!
)
Well I had about not even 10oz of yogurt before I went to bed last night. Someone told me it could be a potassium shortage, I dunno I'll have two hardboiled eggs, two chocolate chip eggos (my guilty pleasure) and a banana for breaky today.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yes I've heard the potassium thing too. A few bananas can't hurt! Maybe some people just get the cramps no matter what, but I would try eating no more than 2 small servings of dairy a day for a few days and see if it helps. That might not be it, but it might be. I was chugging milk left and right and when I cut down to 2 glasses a day the cramping improved pretty dramatically. I also ate bananas.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well as I said, I dont injest *that* much dairy. I had a yogurt craving last night but managed to stop at 10oz

Other than that my dairy has been restricted to cheese and yogurt. I only drink milk when I get a bit of bunged up.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Relaxing through a leg cramp?????
You're a tough one!

I used to feel sorry for myself because my big belly got in the way of getting a hand down to my foot to pull up on my toes with all my might! Couldn't get rid of that pain fast enough!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Try taking magnesium. Calcium and potassium tend to cause leg cramps for me. But since taking magnesium I have not had any. Most people do well taking 500 mg a day. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant. Calcium is a muscle contractor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts