Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 21 month old dd is soooo not ready to wean, but my poor nipples are so sore! (sorry if TMI!) A stiff breeze is enough to make me wince right now, and an enthusiastic nursing toddler is almost more than I can handle.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Do any more experienced moms have tips on how to get through this? I really don't want to wean dd yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My dd is 2 and a half and still nursing. Although my supply is already starting to dwindle, she's still avidly nursing. Very early in the pregnancy, my nipples seemed to hurt more than they do now. Lately is seems that I just have less tolerance for longer nursing sessions. She's getting cut off sooner. Sorry, no advice. Just hoping it eases up for you!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I hear ya...dd is 19mo and nurses more or less non-stop. Not only are my nipples amazingly painful, my milk supply is totally gone at night!

So we've been having some meltdowns when dd wants to nurse at night and there's no milk....she REALLY isn't happy about hat! As a result we started getting more serious about night weaning her. DH does all the babycare between 11pm and 5am (we cosleep, but we swapped sides so that he is next to dd instead of having her next to me) and the break from nursing has helped my nipples.

During the day I do my best to get a really good latch and encourage dd to be gentle (she likes to squirm and twist and wiggle and I just can't do that any more!). For a while I would de-latch her evey time she got too wiggly and she soon caught on that she could nurse longer when she was "gentle". Sort of a crash course in nursing manners, you know?

I've also found that it hurst less after a minute or two, so if I can keep her nursing longer on each side that helps...sometimes she'll be happy just having the one side and since it only hurts right at first (well, only hurts a lot) that helps. I've also gone back to using nipple cream and cold packs like I did when dd was first born (my left nipple cracked completely across and was a mess for a couple months), and I've been practicing my breathing and focusing techniques while dd nurses, and finding ways of distracting myself...like putting on music, or nursing while watching a tv show.

Other mamas say it often get's less painful over time, so I'm hoping!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The pain got better for me pretty quickly and we're now pain-free again. (For the time being, at least...) Unfortunately, now I'm getting an icky feeling if she nurses for more than a couple minutes on each side. Nursing her to sleep this evening was a totally different kind of torture. I think it's the dwindling milk supply. Her comfort nursing always gave me the jibblies a little, but I had so much milk that she rarely nursed long for comfort as she kept getting too full! Now that there's less milk, she's nursing for longer periods and it's just... unpleasant.

·
Registered
396 Posts
We're still at it. My nipples hurt like newborn nursing for a few weeks but then just started feeling better. I have heard it can improve and then tank again over and over in a pregnancy, so I'm enjoying the lack of pain, but trying not to take it for granted.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boheime, thanks for the "big latch" tip! I tried telling dd to "open wide" before latching on, and it really helped make it more comfortable (or at least less agonizing).

And, thanks to you other mommas sharing your frustrations. I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat. I feel so guilty for hating nursing so much these days, but it's just so different with a toddler. And even more so, now that I'm preggo.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm still nursing my 31 mon old. We only nurse before she falls asleep at night and then in the morning whens she wakes up. The morning session doesn't bug me but its the night ones that are killing me. Sometimes I feel like I want to jump out of my skin when she nurses. But I don't want to take it from her if she isn't ready. She rarely falls asleep without nursing. So, I've been letting her nurse at night for a limited period of time and if she still isn't asleep then I rub her back or sing.. I've also changed our schedule during the day so that she is more tired at night, so no naps. Bedtime is a lot more challenging for us if she has had a nap that day. I'm hoping that my boobs become less sore as time goes by, but lately things have been getting more intense! I actually dread taking my bra off at the end of the day because it hurts so much, and I know what you mean about a stiff breeze making you wince! Good luck and I hope we can all find solutions to this issue!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boheime View Post
I have to remind my 26 month old to do a "big latch." If her latch isn't really good, it gets painful.
This is a good idea. DD likes to moves around a lot and sometimes tries to take my nipple with her....OWWWW!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Ladies, I'm new on the board and just reading these posts has made me so Happy that I was told about this forum!!!! I've been posting on the CPO boards for years- but receintly have been having huge issues because of breastfeeding/FF disputes and censorship, and NO ONE on my birth board over there has breastfed before or is breastfeeding now!

My youngest dd is 21 months too and still nursing...owie is right!!!! We started nigth weening her a few months ago, so night time hasn't been as much of a problem for me, but during the day....OMG's!! She's a twister and turner too. I have to really watch her latch, and I tell her "open big big big" when she's latching on, and "be gentle"!!! I'm really hoping that it'll get better in the 2nd trimester......though i'm probably hoping for too much!!

I can't wait to get to know you all!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Nipple pain has magically disappeared! Either dd is automatically correcting her own latch every time now, or I got lucky and it was a short phase. Here's hoping nursing is more comfortable for every one else soon!

·
Registered
924 Posts
yes i am in the same sore nipple boat, the shower water hurts them let alone dd nursing. I hate it but i find i am so much more reluctant to nurse her. She has night weaned which means she finally slept through for the first time at 27 months. So now she sleep through i am up to pee every few minutes.

I don't want her to wean but my supply is so low, i hope we can find a balance until the milk supply gets better

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boheime View Post
I have to remind my 26 month old to do a "big latch." If her latch isn't really good, it gets painful.
This is what I did in my second pregnancy with ds.....I would tell him to open WIDE and he did.....he nursed through till my 8 month.

VERY strangely enough......I'm not experiencing an ounce of pain now while nursing dd.....it's sorta freaking me out because I was all ready for it to start to be painful.....but here I am.....2 and a half months in and no pain. My friend said it didn't get painful for her until her fifth month so who knows. I lost my milk with ds in the fourth month and unfortunately enough the pain didn't stop then.....it was only during latching though and a few sucks and then it was better.

Good luck to all of you nursing your babes.....it's so worth it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thank you Mommas. I knew you all could make me feel better. My son is getting his big top teeth in at the same time, and he grinds down on my nipple and it hurts so much. I am now trying to wait until he's really hungry to nurse him (usually then his latch is better).

Any thoughts on my newest theory - I just started my first period. Is there a relationship between his biting and the taste of my milk? I heard that during a period the milk tastes different.

I'm trying to grasp any idea that can help me understand how to make it through this painful time. I hold my breath during his initial latch. He doesn't really get it when I say "big latch" ... he's 9mos.

I won't pump, and want to continue breastfeeding! I know this too shall pass ... any tips?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have to bud in here and let ya'll know something. I weaned my 23 mo dd about 2.5 weeks ago. I don't regret it one bit and she's doing totally fine. Anyway, what I want to say was that my boobs didn't hurt at all unless she was nursing. NOW, they hurt all the time! What's the deal!? They are sore to the touch, I can't lay on them, typical prego stuff that I didn't have when I was in my first tri and still nursing. So it might help to encourage you to keep nursing knowing that "you're damned if you do and damned if you dont!"

If you want encouragement to wean read on, (if not then don't): I made myself unavailable for our 2 nursing times morn and night for about a week. Well actually I started with morn for a week then added night. She went to bed with dh without a flinch. (This is when I slipped out and went to the pool to swim) Then I knew it was time to face her and put her to be myself without nursing. I simply did our routine and gave her a nice explanation, including stuff like mommy's boobies have booboo's and boobies are for babies and now Nora is a big girl. I totally didn't think it'd work. She whined for like a minute and I told her I'd let her touch them. That made her totally happy. The next day at the store we saw women's bras. Nora pointed and instead of yelling the usual "boobies" she yelled "babies!" She always points to my boobs and says "babies" now too. She totally got it and I feel confident she was ready. Plus she's sleeping through the night and about an hour later in the am. I'm so thankful this worked out. Although my boobies are sore!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yep... we still are. But my milk supply is WAY down and ds isn't asking for mama milk like he used to. I am thinking he'll self wean?? My nipples are very sore too. Sometimes I just tell him straight out we can't right now, it hurts.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Oh, so our boobs hurt after we ween too!
: It's great to have the heads up, I had no idea. Great story going from boobies to for babies!!! Nice!

I am strongly determined to nurse as long as I feel my son needs it (in the middle of the night my resolve dwindles). Hearing all your good stories confirms that it is so important to keep nursing.

I am holding on to the hope that I will come up with something that lets him know not to bite. I am trying SO hard not to "Yelp!" in response to the pain because he thinks it is soooo funny when I yelp, so I can see the reinforcement there for biting me more.

Thank you again Mommas from Colorado and San Diego. We moved from San Diego 2 years ago, and are now in Vermont. Goodnight all.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The pain during nursing came back. I wasn't certain why. Then one day last week during nap time I was in a different position and saw dd's mouth as she latched on. No wonder! When I had asked her to do a big latch, her mouth was only half as wide as it should have been. So, we've been working on that again and the pain during nursing is going away again.

She isn't nursing nearly as much, though. I think my supply is pretty much gone. She doesn't stay on long the times we nurse without the LA. of course, she isn't taking as much from the LA when we nurse with it, either...so, who knows. I'm determined to keep at it and CLW.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm another that wasn't experiencing pain but suddenly is again. Bah.

My supply has gone to crap, so DS is sucking REALLY HARD.

We're down to 1-2 times a day. I've stopped offering except first thing in the morning and at nap. I think if I didn't offer he might wean. I'm trying to get over my own "ahhh this sucks" thing to keep nursing him, but it's hard.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
It must be hormonal...my nipples hurt like the blazes earleri and the felt more or less okay again. But the past few days...OUCH!

We night weaned, which helped, but it's reaching the point where I dread the latch.
Once dd's been sipping for a while it feels okay, but that first 30 seconds is horrible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.