Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS finally got some teeth -- 4 at once actually (still not in all the way though!) and every time he latches I feel like I'm being stabbed! Once he's latched it's fine -- except he has a cold so he is relatching 20 times a minute!!!! I'm in paaaaain!!! I can't even let him finish eating (and he doesn't want to because of the cold)... HELP!!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh it's funny you should mention this because I was having a conversation with my mother the other day where this came up. She's breastfed four kids, so I trust her. Apparently this is what you do:

Say "OW!!" in a markedly raised voice (obviously not a scream lol) and immediately withdraw him from your breast. Do this when he's hungry and the sudden absence of milk and the loud "OW!!" will apparently pretty quickly let him know that not only is he hurting you, but that biting means no milk comes out.

Apart from that it's perseverance - this is that interesting crossover time between little baby and toddler - and teeth hurt!
XXX

· Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! I'm afraid that will scare him!! He startles easily & I'm normally very soft-spoken! But I suppose if it's between that & not being able to feed him because he bit off my nipples... lol

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Oh it's funny you should mention this because I was having a conversation with my mother the other day where this came up. She's breastfed four kids, so I trust her. Apparently this is what you do:

Say "OW!!" in a markedly raised voice (obviously not a scream lol) and immediately withdraw him from your breast. Do this when he's hungry and the sudden absence of milk and the loud "OW!!" will apparently pretty quickly let him know that not only is he hurting you, but that biting means no milk comes out.

Apart from that it's perseverance - this is that interesting crossover time between little baby and toddler - and teeth hurt!
XXX

When ds used to bite, I would do this too. I would say OUCH pretty loud, and he normally got the clue. If he continued to bite after me saying OUCH a couple of times, I would gently remove him and put him down. A minute or so later, I would pick him up and nurse him again. This cycle went on for some time, but he eventually stopped.

When ds is teething and biting he really likes a 'chewy'. We put an ice cube in a cloth diaper (absorbs the wet better than a washcloth) and tie a hair band around the cube so it doesn't fall out and he can hold it himself.

As for the stuffy nose, can you take a warm bath or shower with him to open up his nose? Nursing him in the bathtub, or just in the bathroom with the steam should help. When ds has a stuffy nose (or if he has been around others who are sick) I mix some salt and warm water and gently clean his nose out with a q-tip. This will help the proliferation of germs, and also will help to clear out his nose making it easier for him to breathe. I'll model it for ds on my nose and he is more willing to allow me to do it.

HUGS Mama! You'll get through it.

· Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll definitely have to try to clear his nose out more. Problem is, after 3-4 days with a fever & barely eating, he's making up for lost time & snacking every 15 minutes 'round the clock. I'm so afraid to yelp "ouch" but I guess I will have to try it!!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Well it doesn't have to be you know, a yell, but some increased volume and urgency in your voice so that he knows he is hurting you!
You just have to get his attention and let him know right at the biting time, that he is hurting you and that what he is doing won't get him any nice yummy milk. If he was biting say, another child, you'd have to get his attention then as well - obviously here, he's not meaning to cause pain, but he doesn't know he is causing pain and he needs to be alerted to it. Hopefully your boobies feel better soon mama - this'll be me with Bella in a few months I'm sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.