Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i keep hearing ppl on this board talk about oxygen bleach (which i assume is like oxyclean or that clorox oxygen stuff??) i thought it was all evil so i had stoped buying it when dd was born. the other day i noticed that after having a couple of really humid days and not doing my baby laundry for like 4 days (with wet washcloths in the basket) that a bunch of dd's new clothes had spots of mildew....so to make a long story short after trying the normal things, i couldnt get it out and i bought oxyclean (which worked) and then washed twice with no soap to get the residue out. now i know this stuff would really help get my pfs and wipes soooo much cleaner but wanted to know if i can use it every few washes...or if its bad like i thought?? i have been using the same pfs and wipes for about 8 months and they just get dingier and dingier....not that i care, but it would be nice to have them LOOK clean again

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I see no reason why you can't use it, say, once a month. In fact, so long as it rinses clean, I don't see why you can't use it more often than that. I've never had a problem with it and I use it at least twice a month. Now, maybe it depends on the fabric of the diapers, but you said pfs, so you shouldn't have any problem.

Crystal

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i use pockets too - although normally i wash them in the sink since i only have 6 of them and dont do laundry every day. i did get some fb from the tp that are a bit dingy, does anyone think it would be bad to use it on those just once?

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
About once a week I use a shake of Borax in the laundry to boost the wash. I use biokleen bacout in every wash. Also, if you are looking for a natural version of oxyclean, try oxobrite http://www.ecos.com/pages/oxo.html - a lot of the natural stores around me carry this. If you have stains, don't underestimate the power of the sun to bleach the spots out or brighten your dipes. It is also naturally germ-killing and smell killing. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
About once a week I use a shake of Borax in the laundry to boost the wash. I use biokleen bacout in every wash. Also, if you are looking for a natural version of oxyclean, try oxobrite http://www.ecos.com/pages/oxo.html - a lot of the natural stores around me carry this. If you have stains, don't underestimate the power of the sun to bleach the spots out or brighten your dipes. It is also naturally germ-killing and smell killing. Good luck!
unfortunately right now i dont have access to anywhere to put laundry that gets sun. we live just outside of boston and although there is a porch on the front and back, they are both covered.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I used to use oxyclean for almost every wash. A year and a half later I have shot elastic and two of my fb's aren't waterproof anymore--I don't know if it's related but I use it sparingly now.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I would say you're fine using oxygen bleach on prefolds, but I would avoid using it on anything with elastic or PUL.

I use almost exclusively prefolds and flats for this very reason--they get clean so easily, and I can throw Oxyclean in with them, if I want!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.