1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3418692

June 1, 2005 at 1:21 p.m.

Quote:
(AP) -- It sounds like the plot for another Batman sequel: The villain sprays Gotham City with a trust hormone and people rush to give him all their money. Banks, the stock market and even governments collapse.

Farfetched? Swiss and American scientists demonstrate in new experiments how a squirt of the hormone oxytocin stimulates trusting behavior in humans, and they acknowledge that the possibility of abuse can't be ignored.

"Of course, this finding could be misused," said Ernst Fehr of the University of Zurich, the senior researcher in the study, which appears in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature. "I don't think we currently have such abuses. However, in the future it could happen."

Other scientists say the new research raises important questions about oxytocin's potential as a therapy for conditions like autism, in which trust is diminished. Or, perhaps the hormone's activity could be reduced to treat more rare diseases, like Williams syndrome, in which children approach strangers fearlessly.

"Might their high level of trust be due to excessive oxytocin release?" . . .click link for rest of story
Search link to other research and stories about this as well!

Or just Google "Oxytocin Trust Drug"!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I saw a promo for this on the nightly news (but didn't catch the story). The first thing I thought of was car dealerships pumping it into their air supply... shudder

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
One of the moms at playgroup was talking about this today. She was mad because it had that effect on her. They gave her pitocin and she believed whatever her OB said.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Oxytocin is present in the human body during labor and delivery and during sex and orgasm.

I think many women fall in love with their OBs; why would so many defend them even when they make huge mistakes and send them a bill for it?

I know that I miss the first house DH and I bought; that is because our oldest two children were born there...I am bonded to that house.

Years later, these same women go to the same guy for their annual gyn work ups and hysterectomies and they work in the gift shop at the hospital where their children were born.

A powerful drug/hormone.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Possibly use of Oxytocin to control humans in certain situations out of the realm of its' natural release and function is really scary, but hey... leave it to humanity to look for ways to pervert even such as Oxytocin to the advantage of the few over the many when research shows there could be such a use.

Sheesh.
Joyce in the mts.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
How about spraying it from airplanes during critical political moments?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
The first thing I thought when I heard this story is, "It must work the other way, too." That is, if you don't trust your birth attendant, you don't get enough oxytocin to make labor happen.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by captain optimism
The first thing I thought when I heard this story is, "It must work the other way, too." That is, if you don't trust your birth attendant, you don't get enough oxytocin to make labor happen.

That is absolutely true, captain optimism.

That is why the hospital will give it to you artificially if labor slows down.

It is their way of saying, "Trust me, dear!"

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It only works as a pacifier if you get the pain drugs too. My 2nd was induced but no pain drugs and I could have smacked my helpers w/ all their suggestions until they ran and cried. (tongue in cheek- sorta)

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I saw this the other night. My thought was, they're going to start pumping this into the malls and into movie theatres during the pre-show advertisements. Can you imagine - Jeb Bush for President ads, presented with a puff of oxytocin?

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
This was discussed in the vax forum, too. I got loaded with pit post-delivery and I was anything but trusting. And I can't say that in the 4 months I've been nursing that I've been particularly trustful, either. I wonder if their test subjects were men, and what happens to men if you give it to them.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette
This was discussed in the vax forum, too. I got loaded with pit post-delivery and I was anything but trusting. And I can't say that in the 4 months I've been nursing that I've been particularly trustful, either. I wonder if their test subjects were men, and what happens to men if you give it to them.
But from what I've heard is pitocin != oxytocin. It's not exactly the same, it has the same effect on the uterus, but one difference I've heard is that pitocin doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier and cause the same sorts of effects in the mother's brain that true oxytocin does. Apparently real oxytocin also has some painkilling effects, etc that pitocin doesn't give you. The study may have used the real hormone, not a drug that fakes it like pitocin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.