Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
While I think what he did was wrong, I am not sure why his family is apologizing? They didn't say/write the racist editorials. I know the guy is dead...but to me, the apology would mean more coming from him...not family, generations down.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly81
While I think what he did was wrong, I am not sure why his family is apologizing? They didn't say/write the racist editorials.
Better coming from them then no one at all.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor
I disagree. I cannot imagine how this helps anyone anywhere at all.

I agree with you. I know if someone offended me, I'd want that person to apologize, not their decendants. An apology like that would be meaningless.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Eh, it would mean something to me--though obviously not as much as the offender apologizing. (I have patients here all the time who are mean. It does mean something to me when their relatives apologize) He's long dead, so it's a moot point now.

I think maybe they also wanted to clear their names, make it known that they're not like him.

OT, but from the title I thought you meant someone from the HBO series Oz (maybe one of the Aryans?). lol....I'm a real cultured broad.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Eh, it would mean something to me--though obviously not as much as the offender apologizing. (I have patients here all the time who are mean. It does mean something to me when their relatives apologize) He's long dead, so it's a moot point now.

I think maybe they also wanted to clear their names, make it known that they're not like him.

OT, but from the title I thought you meant someone from the HBO series Oz (maybe one of the Aryans?). lol....I'm a real cultured broad.
I thought the same thing about HBO

I also agree that they might just being doing this to clear their names.

But I still also think the apology is worthless. He may not even be sorry. If he was still here, he might still believe what he did was right.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly81
But I still also think the apology is worthless. He may not even be sorry. If he was still here, he might still believe what he did was right.
Agreed.

But his family might be sorry that their great great great great grandpa sucked. I know I would be.

lol, in a way we're both on the same page. Either way, at least we're in the same book. (get it? book? He was an author? Ah, forget it. lol)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
lol, in a way we're both on the same page. Either way, at least we're in the same book. (get it? book? He was an author? Ah, forget it. lol)
: Cute!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Quote:
I disagree. I cannot imagine how this helps anyone anywhere at all.
He came from a town nearby to where I grew up. This man is like a hero where I grew up. There is a whole town with the OZ theme and he is loved and adored. There is a yearly parade and festivals in his honor. It's like our own little mini upstate NY Columbus Day situation - with people celebrating while the NAs of the community are left scratching their heads and thinking, "But what about...?"

The stuff he wrote about is known by some but has never really been addressed. As a NA, this was helpful to me to hear that it was acknowledged and that they regret the vile things that he wrote. I think it will be very helpful, if for no other reason than to bring this 'other side' of Baum to light.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I agree. How can bringing this to light not be helpful?

Personally I'd never heard of this side of him before and I'm glad to know it. Can't change the future without acknowledging the past, right?

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
I think it's good that they are speaking up. Many people are eager to bask in the reflected glow of ancestors who have done great things. It is all through our culture and many others. I think there is a lot to be said for owning up to the terrible deeds as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.