Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

We're in Pennsylvania. My children have attended a private school since they were in school. This school recently changed its vaccination policy that "all children must be fully vaccinated." However, I thought that Pennsylvania required that all schools (public and private) accept exemptions and the school's new policy goes against the state law. Can someone verify this for me? Thanks. (Cause I don't know what to do if my kids can't remain at this school)

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
You can ask a reference librarian at the local public library to help you track down the actual statute. There are also online resources. Here is one http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/028/chapter23/subchapCtoc.html

I would suggest asking that reference librarian if the version I found is the most recent one. I don't see anything in a quick skim about private schools being able to ignore exemptions.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks, Deborah. I've read this a million times myself and can see how it could be read either way -- that private schools don't have to accept exemptions and that that do. Sigh.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both public and private schools in Pennsylvania must comply with the PA code, meaning they must accept your exemption. I wrote a couple posts about this before that had links to resources and the sections of code to cite but I'm not sure how to send them now from my phone. In the meantime, call the local chapter for the office of childhood development and early learning. The representative I spoke with told me that schools try to make up their own policies all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts