Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a four week old and we are considering using a pacifier. Read that the sucking helps produce saliva to help with digestive problems which she definitely has. I'm not a big pacifier fan, but want to try this. I hate the fact that they are sucking on rubber. Are there any more "natural" type pacifier matierals available?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The only pacifiers I have seen are either silicone or latex. I think they are the only material that is deemed safe in that they won't fall apart in babe's mouth.<br><br>
If you are just trying to produce more saliva for babe you can just try offering your breast for sucking ( nature's pacifier!) or let babe suck on your pinky finger with your nail down. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You might want to consider silicone. It's not really more natural than latex (Which isn't rubber anyway... some rubber would actually be quite natural, since it's derived from the sap of a tree.), but latex allergies are skyrocketing in kids these days. Even if your kid isn't already allergic, there's a theory that allergies are built because of lots of contact with membranes like your mouth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts