Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 4 month old ds i have every plan and hope to EBF but have some concerns about pacifier use. at Kellymom.com i read this "There are studies that indicate that babies who take a pacifier tend to wean earlier than those who do not. This is most likely because as a baby gets older - once he's established on solid food - it is often his desire to suck that ensures he continues to seek out the breast often. Babies who use pacifiers are getting that need to suck met with something other than the breast, and therefore may decide to give up breastfeeding sooner than if they did not take a pacifier. "<br><br>
My son has taken to the pacifier recently, sometimes even stopping to nurse and still having the desire to suck and try as I may he won't nurse but is satisfied with his pacifier. It really seems to help him settle down to sleep. But now I'm worried about whether he will continue to prefere the paci over nursing for comfort. I also hope to stop using the paci before I introduce solids anyway but what have been your experiences with EBF and pacifier use. Is it best to stop using it before solids are given? (I also don't use it all the time, just when he's sleepy on i n the car seat and I don't have much other choice)<br>
So my biggest concern is that will he have the desire to wean early?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Well, the study I know about showed that babies weaned (were weaned?) approximately one month earlier in the group that received a pacifier vs the group that did not. If you're looking at American society that weans well before 1 year, that's a HUGE difference. If you're looking at an extended nurser who may still be breastfeeding at age 6, one month doesn't mean quite as much.<br><br>
After 5 years of swearing that pacifiers are evil, and "you should <i>never</i> use one," I've got a baby who "needs" one. I've got so much milk that she can't comfort nurse without getting some, which is frustrating when she's full and just wants to nurse to sleep. So, we give her a pacifier when she's not hungry and wants to suck. 90% of the time, DH or I is holding her. We also give it to her in the car.<br><br>
As she's gotten older, she's using it less and less. There are times when she only uses it once a day now (7 months old).

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
I think you are wise to wonder about it.<br><br>
I do think that replacing comfort nursing too often with a pacifier can definitely make a child lose interest. Not every child, but a number of them.<br><br>
I feel it's the attitude that it's "only" comfort nursing or "non nutritive" sucking that can lead to less nursing and some children losing interest. Whether a child is getting milk or just comfort, nursing is a good thing.<br><br>
But as you can see from the poster above, all kids are different.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I think there is a big difference between using a pacifier as a crutch and using one wisely. I see many people pop a paci in their baby's as soon as they start to fuss, often without even looking at the baby. Using a paci as a plug will certainly lead to bad habits and maybe early weaning down the line. I find it disturbing to see a 4-5 year old with a paci in his or her mouth, but it seems to be getting more and more common.<br><br>
The other way I've seen pacis used is to comfort a child when nursing simply isn't an option. In the carseat, for instance.<br><br>
Karen took a pacifier from age 2 months to age 8 months. She pretty much only had the paci when I was at work and eating from a bottle. That is, those times when milk came easily and she had no opportunity for comfort nursing. When she was 8 months old, she got a cold and couldn't breathe with the paci in her mouth. She spit it out 3 days in a row and we just stopped offering them. Phil mentions that she tends to suck and chew on toys more frequently when I'm at work than when I'm at home, so this seems to be replacing the use of the paci a bit.<br><br>
Anyways, the main point I want to make is that if you're using one, keep in mind that the baby needs to suck and he/she will likely be better off with comfort nursing. When that's not available, use the paci with caution. The fact that you're even asking about it and thinking about these issues is a good sign.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I agree that there is a responsible way to use a passifier. My dd never took one- though there were times in the car I wished she would! But I have a cousin that both nursed and used a passifer, she self weaned at 26 months, but didn't give up the passifier until age 4. I think the important thing is to honor your child's real needs and not encourage use of the passi if baby doesn't want it.<br>
Good luck.<br>
Laura

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I gave my oldest a pacifier and she weaned at 15 months. I know it was due to my pregnancy and supply issues though and not the pacifier. Sje still asks every now and then and she's weaned from the pacifier also. I decided not to give a pacifier to this babe.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by jeca</i><br><b>An Oak is a Nut that held it's ground!</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
I love that quote! :LOL

·
Registered
475 Posts
My dd weaned at 28 months, she was a paci baby so I don't completely agree with the study. Not all the time, but had a high suck need. She almost never went out in public with it except for a short period when she had just weaned after her brother was born. Mostly used it to go to sleep at home. She was a borderline high needs baby too. It just worked for us.<br><br>
I totally agree with using it as a crutch, and using it wisely. There is a huge difference.<br><br>
Ds, on the other hand, has never had a paci & never will. It's just him.<br><br>
Every baby is different. Just go with the flow. You will know what is right.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Here si some good general info about pacifiers and bfed babies:<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pacifier.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pacifier.html</a>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts