Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this email from Baby Weekly Tips today.... quite interesting....

Pacifiers Reduce Risk of SIDS

Hi Amber,
Doctors now believe that babies should be given a pacifier at bedtime to reduce the risk of SIDS. Experts believe that the pacifier prevents the baby from sleeping too deeply - a problem with babies prone to SIDS. However, you should not reinsert your babys pacifier if it falls out during sleep, never coat the pacifier with any sweet substance, and dont force a pacifier on your baby if he or she refuses it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I read somewhere that the idea is that if babies are "doing something" in their sleep, like sucking, they will be slightly more alert. But the article I read
(sorry, don't remember where) said the pacifier connection isn't that strong b/c most babies spit them out after around 10 minutes.

If there is any truth to thus argument, then, all the more reason to co-sleep and nurse-sleep!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
To me, if baby is alone in a crib, it's safer to have a pacifier than to NOT have one.

But even safer AND more natural and normal, would be co-sleeping with ready access to mama, so baby can have the nipple nature made.

That's the part that the reports have missed; that you're just, yet again, reinventing the wheel by coming up with all these ways to keep baby from being lonely, to keep baby sucking, and so on and so forth...it's just copying what nature made, in the same ways that formula companies copy what nature made (except they say that b'milk is "missing" things like iron and whatever...if b'milk were meant to have those things, it would have those things) and try to approximate it.

It's easier for me to just have DS next to me at night.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobs View Post
I am the pacifier.

That would make a great shirt.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyeilis View Post
To me, if baby is alone in a crib, it's safer to have a pacifier than to NOT have one.

But even safer AND more natural and normal, would be co-sleeping with ready access to mama, so baby can have the nipple nature made.

That's the part that the reports have missed; that you're just, yet again, reinventing the wheel by coming up with all these ways to keep baby from being lonely, to keep baby sucking, and so on and so forth...it's just copying what nature made, in the same ways that formula companies copy what nature made (except they say that b'milk is "missing" things like iron and whatever...if b'milk were meant to have those things, it would have those things) and try to approximate it.

It's easier for me to just have DS next to me at night.

:

Babies belong with mama.

Simple biology.

Don't mess with biology. She can get nasty.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
:

Babies belong with mama.

Simple biology.

Don't mess with biology. She can get nasty.

-Angela

Yep! I totally agree. To me, the "pacifiers reducing sids" thing shows that babies *should* be sucking (i.e. nursing) frequently throughout the night!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:
To me, the "pacifiers reducing sids" thing shows that babies *should* be sucking (i.e. nursing) frequently throughout the night!

It is crazy that co-sleeping/ night nursing is even questioned when this is the advice that they give (regarding the pacifier). Crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Yep! I totally agree. To me, the "pacifiers reducing sids" thing shows that babies *should* be sucking (i.e. nursing) frequently throughout the night!

Exactly. And of course these "experts" dont' take into consideration vaxes or mattresses may also cause SIDS.

·
Registered
509 Posts
slightly OT and not trying to be smart- but what do you mamas do when your babe wants non-nutritive sucking at night? she pulls off the boob when she's done, if i put her back on she cries, but if i give her a paci, she seems content and goes back to sleep. mine seems to want that the whole time she isn't nursing (at night). i'm a first time mom, but i belive the only way to deal with that is the dreaded paci. we co-sleep too, btw.

but if there are other ways, please enlighten me.
i'm eager to learn!

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
That study was very flawed, and it took them a long time to get it published because most rejected it.

First, the study sample was small. Second, they did not compare babies with pacifiers to baby without pacifiers. They compared to very small groups of babies, both of which took pacifiers, but in the last sleep cycle of the night, one group had their pacifiers and one group didn't, even though they usually did. And the group that did not have their pacifier as they usually did had a very lightly increased risk of sids.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mika85 View Post
slightly OT and not trying to be smart- but what do you mamas do when your babe wants non-nutritive sucking at night? she pulls off the boob when she's done, if i put her back on she cries, but if i give her a paci, she seems content and goes back to sleep. mine seems to want that the whole time she isn't nursing (at night). i'm a first time mom, but i belive the only way to deal with that is the dreaded paci. we co-sleep too, btw.

i'm eager to learn!
Honestly, I don't really even know what non-nutritive sucking would look like. If my kid wants to suck, he does. If he doesn't, he doesn't. That phrase is confusing to me, but enough people use it that I figure it IS something that exists, but...I don't know what it looks like.
:

What would your babe do if she pulled off and...well, what would happen?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyeilis View Post
Honestly, I don't really even know what non-nutritive sucking would look like. If my kid wants to suck, he does. If he doesn't, he doesn't. That phrase is confusing to me, but enough people use it that I figure it IS something that exists, but...I don't know what it looks like.
:

What would your babe do if she pulled off and...well, what would happen?
i'm saying, at least this is how my DD is: she still wants to suck on something once she's done nursing, right? but she's full from nursing, and if i put her back on the boob, she cries because milk comes out. if i give her a bink, she's happy cuz she has something to suck on, and she goes back to sleep. it's comforting to her.

i'm asking what you mamas do if you have a babe who is like that at night. do you just stick a finger (yours, or help them find theirs) in their mouth until they're ready to feed again?

i mean, i hate paci's too. but we don't abuse it, it's never caused any problem with the bfing relationship. if it helps to prevent sids also, then that's even better. i don't see the harm as long as you don't shove it in the poor babe's mouth everytime they make a little sound or whatever.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Quote:

i'm eager to learn!
My ds gets...me! Then again he's always hated pacis though. If your dd dosn't wish to have you once she's done eating, perhaps the paci is the answer. If she only wants it at night when she's not nursing, that honestly dosn't sound so bad.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

i'm eager to learn!
In your situation, the paci is fine- she's still getting to snuggle next to mama all night and the boob is there if she wants it. You're following her lead with the paci.

There's a HUGE differce between saying "all babies should sleep with pacifiers" and "parents can offer a pacifier if the baby wants it."

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went through that phase of wanting to suck when not hungry with DS. I offered him a paci while cosleeping if he felt the need. I also helped him find his thumb which became the method of his choice. It was a short phase, he doesn't use anything now. I think the thumb was good choice on his part, it was still fleshy, warm and he knew where it was if he wanted it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Exactly. And of course these "experts" dont' take into consideration vaxes or mattresses may also cause SIDS.
That would take money AWAY from corporations, and we wouldn't want to do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.