Mothering Forum banner

pacifiers

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  2+twins 
#1 ·
Anyone out there who uses a pacifier for their new baby?

We haven't yet - until today that is. I'm feeling really conflicted about it, but the baby seems to love just laying there and sucking...

#2 ·
I use one... And I really have no conflicted feelings... If it calms him down, then I'm for it!
I, personally, feel that as long as you don't use it constantly, I think it's okay to use. Whatever helps to calm your little one and let you keep a shred of sanity!!

Kerri

#3 ·
Thank you Mel38 for asking this question. I have been thinking of posting it myself.

My first had all her oral needs met becuse I could sit and nurse her all day, my second found her thumb and I preferred it over a paci. Now with my third I obviously don't have the time to sit and let her suck all day because I have to get things done with the other two and life happens.
I recently purchased the Gerber Nuk Latex (not silicone) 0-3 month paci and have used it one day when I had few errands to run and it did save me. I have also let her suck on my pinkie (cleaned, nail cut, nail down) but once again I am not able to do that all day. I know LLL does not promote the use of a paci in the first month to 6 weeks. I think until the nursing relationship has been established and also to avoid nipple confusion. I am also conflicted. I wish she would find her thumb as she could do that whenever she wanted and wouldn't need me to find the paci after she spits it out, (it did drop 4 times at the stores and my husband says enough of this we need to buy a clip.)
Anyway, i am struggling with it also...

#4 ·
Just glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Let me tell you one benefit that we noticed right off the bat - up until now, the baby hasn't fallen asleep for anyone except for me, but today, my MIL got to hold him sleeping (he fell asleep w/ the paci in his mouth) for the first time. She was thrilled! I thought it was nice that I could 'share' him a little bit. Kinda bittersweet.

#5 ·
Paci use helps prevent SIDS, according to recent studies. I've read it's now encouraged for use from birth-6 months for that reason...assuming there's no problems with nipple confusion, etc.

And plus the sucking reflex is one of the few ways infants have to comfort themselves. Why do people discourage that? If a paci helps give comfort and does no harm then why not? I'm not a fan of watching five-year-olds pop binkies in their mouths, and I've heard prolonged use can interfere with language developement, but for established BF infants I say absolutely go for it. Anything that helps prevent SIDS, and makes baby feel better is a good thing in my book.

That said, I'm all for letting Winnie have a paci to comfort herself, but she is pretty disinterested in it beyond amusing chewing for a few minutes, and prefers the breast or her knuckles. But ever so often I try to re-introduce the paci (have tried two different types, the NUK latex and the Avent silicone -- neither seems preferable to her).

I think there's way too much guilt around paci use and that sucks. Ignore the hype and go with what makes your wee one smile.

ETA: It's also easier to break the habit of a pacifier than a thumb, according to my SIL. Just a thought...

#6 ·
We use them here. My only issues with them are:

1. Making sure baby has established bf'ing before introducing one

2. It sucks when it falls out and wakes the baby up

I waited a whopping 2 weeks before giving one to dd1, only 1 week with dd2, then 2 weeks & a day with one of the twins & a few days after that for the other (b/c of bf'ing concerns). So far so good.

#7 ·
My daughter uses one mainly at night after she nurses, I too have 3 and i usually have to get them in bed after i get her to sleep so i can't sit and nurse her while she sleeps so i just slip that in her mouth and I can safely lay her down in her crib and it usually falls out of her mouth shortly after. I have no problem or guilt doing that, I don't use it really any other time (sometimes at naptime) but i just don't let her crawl around sucking on it or anything, i just don't see a reason for her to have it then i guess. She is the first one of my girls to even take one, the other two spit it out if i even tried to give it to them and she just loved it. Don't feel bad about giving it to the baby if it helps them....just as long as they don't keep it until their like 4, lol....having three is tougher, it's enough work with having to feel bad about a pacifier...don't sweat it....you have tons of things to worry about, i know how you feel :)

#8 ·
BeanBean never had a need to suck too much; he nursed for a long time, but that was all he wanted. The pacifiers and his thumb never interested him much. BooBah took her thumb at about 6 weeks and never let go, but I wish that she had used a pacifier instead; today, a month shy of her second birthday, her teeth are a mess.
She's going to need major orthodontia in the future, because her palate and teeth are so messed up from the thumb sucking (I never thought it would be an issue because my sisters and I all sucked our thumbs/fingers and we all have perfect bites).

I have offered Bella pacifiers, but she doesn't seem too interested. If she starts to show an intense interest in her thumb, I will try to divert her to an orthodontic pacifier instead.

#9 ·
Dr. Sears says that some babies have an intense need to suck, and if that's the case then to not feel bad about giving a baby a pacifier. He says just to not use it instead of paying attention to your baby if that's what he/she is wanting. I wish I could get baby boo to take a pacifier. He refuses and looks at me like I've offended him horribly when I try to put it in his mouth...heehee.

#10 ·
I agree with the PP's. There's nothing to feel bad about if your baby is wanting to suck all the time and bf is established and all that. I tried to get Josephine to take a couple different kinds when my nipples were killing me and she wanted to suck nonstop. So, I was bad because nursing wasn't quite established, but she was 2 or 3 weeks old. She sucked it for about 5minutes. When I tried to give it to her again, she pushed it out with her tongue and made a face like it was terrible. The couple times that it worked, it was the MAM brand. The Nuks worked with my first daughter a few times and then she rejected them too. I've heard that Soothies are the best.

The only think I don't like is when a kid is 2 or 3 and they walk around with the binkie all the time. I've seen kids whose speech development is behind because of it, so that bothers me, but that is extreme.

#11 ·
Just visiting over from the October DDC. I, personally think that a pacifier can be a good idea, to a point. If you have a high needs child, then maybe not because pacifiers provide a lot of comfort, and so they relate comfort to sucking, which when it's older can lead to problems. That is, either smoking or still sucking on a binky. The reason I say this is that I have been sucking on my pacifier since birth
I was definitely not a low-maintenance child, and I have a lot of bad stuff happen. I have always related sucking on a 'binky' to comfort, so it's hard to quit, especially as an adult when things get that much harder.

but basically, I see it as a good idea every once in a while. Another idea is some sort of textured cloth in a small square that you can brush against them to let them know that "momma's here" and its a lot easier to disguise as they get older. This seems to work with a lot of kids. Sorry, just some ideas. Good luck!

#12 ·
I know a mom who uses the taggie blankets like that. You are supposed to have it with you every time you nurse so it will smell like you and the baby will associate it with snuggling with mom, and then they get attached to it. It worked really well for her. Both her kids love their blankies. Mine just never got attatched to anything except me I guess. I tried the blanket thing but it didn't work. My 1st DD likes to have a stuffed animal or doll with her, but she switches which one is the favorite all the time.

#13 ·
I'm sorry to admit this but we gave Morgan one the very next day after birth. At first we had people throw fits at us for using one but it really does help to calm him down. Morgan usually spit's it out when he's done sucking after awhile. What's terrible is when your driving and it falls out and he's screaming from the back seat or when your trying to sleep at night and it falls out. Boovert

#14 ·
DS1 was a very needy/sucky baby, and the paci really saved my sanity and my boobies.
He just seemed to need to suck and suck and suck and suck.

DS2 wants nothing to do with a paci. Sometimes, I think it'd be nice if he'd use one, since he hates riding in the car, and I wish I had a way to calm him.

I think it's all about your child's needs. Don't beat yourself up about it either way.

#15 ·
My oldest barely took one, just a few times when we were in the car. Then he started refusing it. We have since lost all of the binkies so DS2 hasn't had one. We're in no hurry to go buy any because he doesn't seem to need it. Some babies are suckier though.
I wouldn't ever introduce one prior to about a month because of the possibility for nipple confusion and BF difficulties, but I don't think it's as risky now.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairpin
I don't mind my husband using a pacifier, especially in the evenings when my baby just wants to chew on something. But OUCH!... I don't like it when he forgets that my boob isn't a pacifier and starts chewing on my nipple!
:
Seriously, I must need more sleep, cuz it took me about 5 minutes of confusion to realize that you meant that you don't mind your husband giving a pacifier to your baby vs. you don't mind your husband using a pacifier (himself).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.