Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been given a padded ring sling, and it's terrible bulky with just a stuffed animal in it. My question is, can I take a seam ripper to it and remove the padding without destroying it altogether? Anyone ever done this? Suggestions? (We're broke and it would be a huge help to be able to use this sling without having to buy a new one.)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hahahha
funny you should mention this! I totally did this to the NoJo I bought a new months ago...and it didnt do anything positive too it, just made it worse. I also had bought a Maya Wrap RS (unpadded)-thou I later returned it as Im not too keen on Rs's...ne way, I compared the newly depadded NoJo to the Maya Wrap...and the depadded NoJo was a total mess, it was so huge, only the padding made it seem less big, was soooo cumbersome to use...blah! ended up destroying it for scrap fabric.

Frankly...id chuck the darn thing and get a Maya Wrap or something similar. btw, currently on the trading post I just saw a EUC Olive Maya Wrap up FS for quite cheap-$25. Might be worth a thought.

blah, padded slings *shudder*

Oh, just a thought, U can totally make ur own sling...u dont even NEED rings...do U have a few yards of thin material laying around-even an old ratty sheet? U can cut it into a long rectangle and use it ala Rebozo style. Its SO easy! Can do the same thing a RS does, just learn how to do a "slip knot" and u can tighten it like U would a RS. Google "The Rebozo Way", they have instructions. A rebozo is basically a long piece of woven material used in Mexico as a sling.

Umm Ibi

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I can't imagine that it would help! What kind of RS is it, anyway? The only ones I have seen that I found to be way over-padded are the OTSBHs (and for some reason I have three of them! Ugh.

Are you interested in a Pouch? I have a Kakhi Hostling, size 3, that I could give you if you would fit into it.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, there goes that idea! I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy something more useful. I don't know what the brand name on the sling is, it's one of those bought at a store somewhere things. I have already asked for a wrap I hope to get, I just wanted something for quickly going places (like up the 6 flights of stairs between my car and my apt.) I don't want to get into the habit of lugging the baby seat, and I don't feel safe just carrying a small baby.

Thanks for offering the hotsling, but according to the website I'm closer to a 4 or 5.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi,

You know, u can make alot of your own carriers! Also, you can just use a simple length of fabric and do a TON of different carries...from a shoulderless torso carry to a sling along with alot of other stuff.

Just a suggestions.

Umm Ibi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.