Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past week or so I've been getting an achey feeling in the right-side of my ribcage. I'm only 29 weeks, but could it be baby feet poking me? I'm not sure if at that point the uterus has grown enough that the baby could poke there. It's not kicking me in the ribs, but like it's just pressing there.

Anyone else? It's quite annoying and sometimes painful.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine has been kicking me in the ribs for a good 6wks now. And they get sore if I am not paying attention to my posture. Like everything will be all crammed up there b/c I'm slouching and as soon as I straighten up it feels much better but kind of sore.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
my rib right under my left boob hurt a lot before. my chiro thought it was a rib out, but upon closer inspection she said that sometimes the intercostal muscles (the smooth sheath muscles between the ribs) sometimes twist on themselves during pregnancy.

it was very painful when it was bothering me, which is still does sometimes, but not like before thank goodness. i think yoga is helping.

my son did poke me in the ribs, but it was much farther along and i could actually feel his heel digging into me.
:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
depends on how you're carrying. with ds1 he was in my ribs at this point but with this little guy, he's so low that i'm not having that problem yet. i'm just having lower back/sciatica prob's that i didn't have last time. i think i like this set up better because atleast i can still breathe

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not carrying high so it may just be muscle pain. Thanks for the insight ladies.

·
Registered
864 Posts
oh yeah. i have the burning in the ribs pain. and it won't go away. they say it's because i am so short waisted so i havemy organs and babies feet up there! i have been using warm compresses and walking around topless (i can't stand anything constricting my rib cage anymore. not so good when you are a 34H though!!). if you come up with a solution, let me know!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
To compensate for your uterus pushing up on your diaphragm during pregnancy your ribs will actually flare out... no doubt this movement (in addition to baby kicks) will be painful. Our bodies are so amazing- if this did not occur your total lung capacity would drastically be reduced... but instead it is only diminished by about 5%

(sorry- exercise science nerd here)

·
Registered
754 Posts
It could be the beginnings of heartburn. The acids start down at the base of the stomach under your right ribs and if left untreated, the pain/numbness will eventually crawl up to your esophagus.

Just an idea! It's totally possibly something else.

BTW, of all the heartburn remedies I tried, acidophilus was the most thorough in dealing with it. I've been heartburn free for the last two weeks thanks to acidophilus. (OMG I'm so grateful for that sentence) I took it at every meal until things got better, now I'm just taking it once a day unless I eat tomato sauce.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude Rose View Post
It could be the beginnings of heartburn. The acids start down at the base of the stomach under your right ribs and if left untreated, the pain/numbness will eventually crawl up to your esophagus.

Just an idea! It's totally possibly something else.

BTW, of all the heartburn remedies I tried, acidophilus was the most thorough in dealing with it. I've been heartburn free for the last two weeks thanks to acidophilus. (OMG I'm so grateful for that sentence) I took it at every meal until things got better, now I'm just taking it once a day unless I eat tomato sauce.
Jude Rose, that's interesting. I am already having heartburn- always after I eat too much. So I try to eat little amounts and stop eating a few hours before bed. Also, papaya enzymes are helping as well. However, I'm willing to try acidophilus. Especially since I want to get a regimen to discourage being GBS+.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
My midwife told me it was my gallbladder acting up. I had the same type of pain with Grayson at the same point in pregnancy. Mine isn't heartburn since of the location. I normally just change positions & use gravity to help the pain. The good thing is that it went away after pregnancy
:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
papaya enzyme is a lifesaver

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I haven't really had much rib pain this time, because baby is so low, but I had a lot of achey ribs last time, and I think it was partially ds kicking around in there (he could support himself on his legs really early) and partially just rib expansion. This time around my body seems to be a bit more elastic, so its not bothering me as much. I do find my side ribs / middle back can bother me if I'm not careful with my posture and with lifting my son in and out of the car.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
My ribs have been sore for a couple of weeks now. For me, this is the normal time of pregnancy for this pain and is not related to baby kicks, I haven't yet felt a single kick in the ribs at all. It's definitely rib expansion. No matter how many times you go through it, it still hurts.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Thats so funny we all have different theories!

And here's mine; I get this too, it's kind of around the side of my ribs on the left side. I had it last pregnancy too. I do believe it's muscular but I've found that my husband doing some lay-accupressure around that area really helps a lot!
Try feeling around with your hands to find where the sensitive spot is and hold it (very gently) and you may see the pain subside. It can be dicey working with pressure points when your pg but intention has alot to do with that.
So anyway it's kind of like when we get a sinus headache, we will press our temples (kind of instinctively) because this relieves the pressure/pain.
(I find other points more helpful than the temples, but for the sake of example...)
Same idea with the rib pain thing. Mine was killing me last night and after having DH hold the point there, it's gone today (so far).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts