Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am not far enough along yet to have so much trouble sleeping already! This started a couple of weeks ago. I go to sleep on my left side (my preferred side) and after an hour or two I wake up with a pain in my ribs on that side. I don't know what it is, it is not the baby, she is not up that high. It is a muscle pain up in my ribs right by where the bottom of my breast is, so the 4 or 5th rib up? That part of my body is directly under me when I'm sleeping so I don't think there is any kind of pillow or anything that can help it. When it first started, I would just roll to my right side and the pain would go away immediately, but of course now, not only does the pain not go away, the same thing has started in the ribs on my right side too. So basically I spend the whole night waking up in pain, rolling over from the more painful side to the less painful side, but in pain all night nonetheless. This of course means I am up peeing more often and after about 6-7 hours I can no longer stay in bed at all, the pain is so bad on both sides I can't sleep at all.
This sucks!!
Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have been having the same question! I have stabbing pain in my upper right ribs. I mentioned it to my midwife a few weeks ago and she said it was just my liver being smashed into my ribs. But, since then its gotten worse and doesn't feel like its my liver. Its a pretty big area and my skin feels almost asleep. If I roll over wrong in the middle of the night I'll get a stabbing pain and wake up screaming. Not fun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wake up every couple of hours with my ribs just aching/hurting so bad! I flip over to the other side, but an hour or so later the same thing happens!
My midwife says it's just everything expanding and relaxing to make room for the baby. I have even started sleeping on my tummy again (I put my boppy around my belly/under my hips and another pillow under my chest) because I've gotten so uncomfortable on my sides. I am going to start seeing a chiropractor though because my back has been killing me too. Hopefully the chiro will also help the rib pain.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have that but not at night - and it seems linked to deep breathing. if i take - or TRY to take - a really deep breath then the pain increases. it is really alarming, but my OB doesn't seem concerned. says it is just innards moving around and being squashed together. it just doesn't seem right!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have tightness/pain in my ribs on my right side. I am going to ask if baby is hanging out on that side at my next appt. It is hard to take a deep breath but I am thinking that it's just the way baby is positioned. I have tried things to get it to shift, but it seems pretty content there for now. At least one of us is comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.