Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to do a search, but couldn't find anything. I hope some mama has an idea what could be happening.

Yesterday, quite suddenly, one breast began to hurt, on the inside, when nursing. I can kind of pinpoint where exactly it hurts. It doesn't sound like thrush, or mastitis. Any ideas? Could coffee be an issue?

No swelling, no general pain (only when nursing), other breast not affected.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
When I get a plugged duct it feels like a deep bruise. Ductal yeast felt like an intense burning, stabbing pain that was enough to make me cry.

Hope this is helpful and that you are feeling better soon!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Could it be thrush if it's just one breast? It hurts right on the nipple, one side of it, down to the inner part I'm talking about.

Plugged duct could be it...I have been having the girls nurse like crazy on that side even though it hurts badly.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If there is nipple pain also, I would lean toward thinking it is thrush. The thrush pain radiated from deep in the breast to the nipple.

I only had it on one side.

Is your nipple more reddish/bright pinkish than usual?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
Is your nipple more reddish/bright pinkish than usual?
Yes. Oh, shoot. Since I've had them nurse on that side, does everybody have it? Do I have to go crazy with the gentian violet?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
Could it be a latch issue?
I sure hope it would be(as opposed to thrush)! But it hurts when both latch on, and they have very different latches.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I agree to hold off on the GV. I used a vinegar wash (10%vinegar/90%water) on my nipples after each feeding and then let air dry.

I also had to treat dd in order to get our yeast under control.

The pain you are describing (in the breast) means that the yeast may be in your milk ducts. This happened to me. I would monitor that pain and if it gets much worse you may need some medical intervention. The only thing that worked for me was a course of Diflucan as described by Dr. Jack Newman. I can get you the reference if you need it. My OB needed it becuase they never treated ductal yeast before.

Good luck!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.