Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!<br><br>
I am sorry if this has been covered before - I searched around, and couldn't find anything. When my 3 y/o dd gets sick, I am of the faith that reducing the fever is a bad thing, but when dd is in a lot of pain at night, I want to give her something to help her feel better so that she can sleep, but all of the pain relievers seem to also be fever reducers!! Any advice that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.<br><br>
Thank you!<br>
Christina

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
General flu type of pain - headache, body aches, sinus pain, etc. Poor thing has been in bed all day, and she generally doesn't get this down. I just know that when she wakes up crying "Mommy it hurts" and she just keeps pointing areas out that I really want to do something for her, but I don't want to impede her body from doing it's thing.<br><br>
Again, thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
We use homeopathy because like you, we don't want to impede the body's healing. If the onset of her illness was gradual and she is very tired and achey, Gelsemium might help. You can buy it in 30c at a whole foods store and give it to her every hour or 2, stopping on any improvement. Give it again at the first sign of getting worse again. If after 4 doses there is no change, stop, because it's probably the wrong remedy.<br>
Homeopathy works <i>with</i> the body to help heal.<br>
I wouldn't buy here (looks expensive), but they have a short materia medica so you can see if the symptoms fit:<br><a href="http://www.elixirs.com/gelsemium.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.elixirs.com/gelsemium.cfm</a><br>
Good luck and I hope she feels better.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
you can use acetominophen, it is a painkiller and a fever reducer and can also be taken without a fever.If you want something that doesn't have fever reducing qualities look for ibuprofen....it helped my daughter with earache when acetominophen didn't do anything.<br><br>
These are the names of ingredients, not actual brand names.You can get them from brands or not, as you wish.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Ibuprofen reduces fever, too.<br><br>
I don't think there are any medical things that reduce pain without lowering fever.<br><br>
I wonder if Arnica, a homeopathic, would work?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm bumping this because I hope for more responses. I, too, have always wondered about this because my daughters both get really bad headaches whenever they are feverish. I feel terrible making them suffer just for the sake of letting them cook.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts