Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 2 years (just after I weaned my dd), my breasts have really hurt before my period. At first it was just the week of my period. It's now up to 3 weeks a month! UGH.

Does anyone else experience this? Or know how to make it better? I asked my midwife, and she said that the nuvoring (that I just started about 3 months ago) might help. It hasn't. I read up a bit yesterday, and saw it may be a perimenopause thing - but I'm only 36!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I usually have about a cup of coffee a day, and I eat tons of sugar... Major yeast problems. I try to wean myself from time to time, but it's so difficult, especially when the yeast isn't bothering me.

Do you have any good links about perimenopause? I'll do a search, but if you find one particularly good, I'd appreciate!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by me&amp View Post
For about 2 years (just after I weaned my dd), my breasts have really hurt before my period. At first it was just the week of my period. It's now up to 3 weeks a month! UGH.

Does anyone else experience this? Or know how to make it better? I asked my midwife, and she said that the nuvoring (that I just started about 3 months ago) might help. It hasn't. I read up a bit yesterday, and saw it may be a perimenopause thing - but I'm only 36!
I am experiencing this same thing! I came here to post something about it and ask for advice or sympathy. Mine are so sensitive the 2 weeks before my period that even the slightest brush of fabric against them makes me want to yelp. I am only 27 so I don't know how that plays in to things. Have you been able to express any fluid from your breasts? (tmi??) When I first discovered this I was a little freaked out by it. I thought oh no I'm pregnant again!? Then took a test and found out I was not. I hadn't nursed my son in over 2 yrs by this point. So then I was thinking.. what if it is cancer. I found out before going into the doctor that my aunt was diagnosed with a very radical form of breast cancer and her symptoms were similar to mine. The doctor tested my prolactin levels which were normal. I was scheduled for a mammogram and ultrasound and they found nothing. After all this they wanted me to go into a surgeon.. I don't have much to cut out and found it rather silly to go to a surgeon when it comes and goes with hormonal fluctuations. Why cut bits of myself out? Anyway, what the radiologist told me (he was a real jerk, full of himself btw) was that I had excess glandular tissue. So.. umm... you are telling me my boobies are growing at the age of 26? I am perplexed by this because I have never heard of someone my age going through something like this. It is just like going through puberty when you start developing breasts... the lumps I can feel in my breasts and the tenderness are the same. I was also prescribed the nuvaring.. but am afraid to use it. Birth control and I don't mix very well.

I just wanted to say I sympathise with you.. and yes someone else experiences this as well. You are not alone!
:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by staceyshoe
Have you checked into low progesterone levels (sometimes called "estrogen dominance")? This can be a cause.
Is this something that they would test for initially? I can not recall all that I my blood was tested for exactly but was told my levels were all perfect. What are the other symptoms of low progesterone levels if you don't mind telling me? TIA

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumof3Nic
I just wanted to say I sympathise with you.. and yes someone else experiences this as well. You are not alone!
:
Thanks!

Quote:

Have you been able to express any fluid from your breasts? (tmi??) When I first discovered this I was a little freaked out by it. I thought oh no I'm pregnant again!?
That actually happened to me when my first ds was about 2 - I had weaned him early (about 6 mos.), and knew very little at the time. It freaked me out. But I wasn't having breast pain at the time - that was like 8 years ago!

About your experiences with the doctors - ugh. I don't find usually them particularly helpful.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of it - and let me know what you find out!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do you by chance have fibrocystic breasts? Are they lumpy at all? I have fc breasts and mine used to get painful for weeks at a time too. And this kind of pain began after I stopped nursing also. A friend told me to take Vit. E (rec'd by her doc for her fc breasts) to help w/the pain and it worked for me. Seriously it was like night and day. Unlike my friend who takes Vit. E every day, I start taking it the first day I feel pain, and this has reduced my pain to 3-4 days max, sometimes just 2 days.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neptunemama, I don't have lumps, but I'm going to look it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

Stacy, thanks for the link - I"m going to read up on progesterone, too.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Hey mama,
I know sugar is sooo hard to get off of. I have done it so I know you can too. (Coffee is hard too, but I could never drink it) I recommend the book The Diet Cure by Julia Ross to get of them both. She recs nutritional supplements and eating plan that you can get at a health food store that really help with cravings. It really works!! I never thought that there would be a day when I did not think about ice cream ect.

The problem is that processed food increases inflammation in the body. My breasts still do hurt a just little bit before AF though, but my periods are easier now.

Jennifer

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:

I am experiencing this same thing! So.. umm... you are telling me my boobies are growing at the age of 26? I am perplexed by this because I have never heard of someone my age going through something like this. It is just like going through puberty when you start developing breasts... the lumps I can feel in my breasts and the tenderness are the same. I was also prescribed the nuvaring.. but am afraid to use it. Birth control and I don't mix very well.

:
Yay!!! me too. My little tired-from-nursing-years-ago breasts are actually starting to look a little perky and full. Iam 27.

I think my hormones are re-adjusting themselves, my cycles are lengthening to 28 days. I have gone to from having zits at period time, to having zits at ovulation time, to now having zits right after ovulation
:
Heres hoping my skin starts to stay clear at ALL times and I get to keep these boobs all cycle long(without the ouchiness)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rharr!
Yay!!! me too. My little tired-from-nursing-years-ago breasts are actually starting to look a little perky and full. Iam 27.

I think my hormones are re-adjusting themselves, my cycles are lengthening to 28 days. I have gone to from having zits at period time, to having zits at ovulation time, to now having zits right after ovulation
:
Heres hoping my skin starts to stay clear at ALL times and I get to keep these boobs all cycle long(without the ouchiness)
Mine are wonderfully perky 2 weeks before I get AF and stay that way until about day 3 or 4 of AF then they go down.
I'm like how sad is it I have to have 2 different size bras (if I feel like wearing one at all) to fit throughout the month.

I think my hormones were thrown out of whack because I had my oldest DS so young. I was 15 when he was born (almost 16) regardless I know I probably wasn't finished going through puberty and maybe having him so young put my hormones on hold or something to that effect.. and then in 3 yrs I had another baby.. and then 2 yrs after I had DS2 I had DS3. My body has finally got enough of a break from pregnancy to balance out. I am also 27.

I always had such clear skin. When I was in high school my friends all hated me for it. Now I will get a zit here and there usually before my period. I hate it lol. Couldn't my body have gone through all this when everyone else was??
My body is going through so many different changes it's hard to keep up with sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.