Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These past couple of days, and particularly today, I have been having many painful and lasting contractions.

Strong painful tightening all over the front and sides.
These are NOT around the back too, like labour ones, but painful nonetheless. And they don't have the rhythm or patterns of real labour contractions:
they just start and keep going for a long time (5- 10 minutes) I had them several times today.

Basically, I can count I will have bad ctrx. if I do a bit more physical exercise (like walking) or drink a little less water.

When should I begin to worry? I never tried these before so early (I am 28 weeks)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd call your care provider. Braxton hicks are normal, but at this point, I'd be worrried if they were painful and frequent. I've had a few painful contractions here and there, but nothing frequent. If resting and drinking water helps, I'd just try to lay low as much as possible. You little one needs to cook a lot longer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My OB's preterm labor rule: contractions of 4 or more per hour that do not go away with rest and hydration are an indication to call your care provider. The contractions of preterm labor are often painless.

If the contractions are due to your activity, and they go away when you rest and drink, then you're ok.

However, I'd take this as a sign that you need to slow down and try to avoid whatever types of activities seem to bring them on, to the extent that you can.

I haven't had too many contractions yet this pregnancy (which is unusual for me), and of course it varies, but generally speaking they seem to get more painful with each pregnancy. (you know, like those really fun afterpains.) Since you've already had so many kids, I wouldn't necessarily freak out about the fact that they're more painful than in your past pregnancies. Still, like I said, I'd take it as a sign of what activities to avoid. If they become a daily nuisance, try building some regular rest time into your daily routine (half hour in the morning and in the afternoon, for instance). And try to increase your daily fluids.

And then there's that UTI possibility that the PP mentioned. Have they gone away?

·
Registered
789 Posts
At this point, If resting and water does not stop them, you should go in. Dont do anything. Just rest, I would put myself on bedrest for a little to see if they go away or not, and if they continue, I would def. go get checked out.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The activity was a slow leisury walk with the kids. Longish, but VERY slow paced with many sitting stops in between.
Yes, they go away after I have rested for a while, but if
I get up and do the light activity, they come back. So the safe bet notnto get any ctrx is to do nothing or very, very little.

I had bad UTI episodes earlier in the pregnancy, but not at the moment- or at least don't think so.

I would have called my midwives/hospital already, but figure I would grt a lot more info/help here... See, whereas in the US they owould have taken me in and hooked me to the contraction machine-thingy, here in the UK they will keep telling me "rest and drink water" It happened last time when I was a bit worried about similar symptoms, but this time they keep coming back and hurting and are freaking me out (but because they stop with rest, they won't tell me to go in).
*sigh* I like having hands off health care, but if they are not going to take anything serious until I am in labour, that worries me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you do feel worried and have had more than 4 in an hour, I think you should go in to the hospital to at least ease your mind, if nothing else. My OB's rule is if I have more than 4 BH contrax in an hour or ANY painful ones, to go straight to the hospital. I actually haven't followed that because I have BH contrax aaalll day every day, and I think it's just that way for me with this twin pregnancy.

I imagine it's pretty hard for you to rest much since you have a handful of kids.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
868 Posts
My OB, MFM, and home health care nurse all tell me if I have more than 4 painful contractions in an hour, I should call or come in right away. I'd go straight to L&D anytime after 20 weeks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was told more than more 4 painful contractions in an hour that do not subside with rest and hydration require a call. I was having contractions every 4-8 minutes with fluids and rest and was admitted to the hospital for preterm labor. Now I am home on medication and modified bedrest until 36 weeks. My contractions are down to 2 an hour on average, but if I overdo it at home, they increase and I know I need to go lay down for awhile and get some rest.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw the midwife yesterday.
She said that because the contractions stop when I rest, it is just irritable uterus, common when the woman has had several previous pregnancies.
If I get them, I should lie down and rest. Take it easy and listen to my body.

Well, after she left I was thinking: "Will the contractions continue and cause preterm labour if I DON'T stop and rest?" and "Because I get them almost every time I do any physical activity besides walking slowly around the house, it badically means I need to rest 80% of the day! Isn't modified bed rest?"

*sigh* while soaking in tub with my phone, trying to make some new ctrx go away...

·
Registered
739 Posts
That is what they think is causing my contractions too and why they had me stop working and take on this lovely modified bedrest along with the meds. I can definately tell when I overdo and need to lay back down, but I can't just stay in bed/on the couch all day long with a toddler.

I would just listen to your body and see what happens. Did your midwife say anything about checking your cervical length to see if the contractions were causing any changes?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, she didn't.
I should have asked.
They don't do internal checks unless absolutely necessary because they want to avoid the risk of infections.

Do you know if sex and orgasms should also be avoided?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just want to put in that I was having lots of them, too and midwife suggested rest and liquid calcium. It also has magnesium in it. I take 2 tablespoons and it works like MAGIC!
:
I would ask yours before you take it, but I would highly recommend it from personal experience.
Just try to take it easy! And keep a water receptacle near you always.
Good luck, mama.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was told to avoid sex/orgasms for now since there is a hormone that is released that may start things going towards labor.

They ended up doing a vaginal u/s to check my cervical length and I won't have another one unless I feel like something is changing or I start showing signs that I am in labor.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Well, after she left I was thinking: "Will the contractions continue and cause preterm labour if I DON'T stop and rest?" and "Because I get them almost every time I do any physical activity besides walking slowly around the house, it badically means I need to rest 80% of the day! Isn't modified bed rest?"
Welcome to my world!
Initially when we discovered I had an irritable uterus, the MW said no sex/orgasms, but now that it's under control it's fine. Basically if they set off a big round of contrax, then yes, you probably should avoid them unless you're really going insane. But if they don't, then you're fine.

Anyway, it's no fun. It's been 3 mths of no lifting, very little exercise, etc for me, and it's making me crazy. Hope yours tones down!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Do you take it when the contractions come? Or just something you do daily?
I take it when I feel the contractions. It seems to work very soon there after.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My midwife recommended False Unicorn Root Tincture for contractions that happen in a pattern. I was getting one every ten minutes a few weeks ago, but they were just braxton hicks, not painful.

I haven't tried the tincture yet (it is hard to find in stores and I had to mail order it--took 2 weeks to arrive), since I haven't had a recurrence, but I thought I'd throw that out there too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SequoiasMom View Post
I just want to put in that I was having lots of them, too and midwife suggested rest and liquid calcium. It also has magnesium in it. I take 2 tablespoons and it works like MAGIC!
:
I would ask yours before you take it, but I would highly recommend it from personal experience.
Just try to take it easy! And keep a water receptacle near you always.
Good luck, mama.
Ditto the calcium and magnesium. I have started carrying around a bottle of liquid calmag (2 part cal to 1 part mag) and taking a swig if I get painful contractions or achy ligaments. I love it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.