Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my third or fourth pregnancy in 2009 or 2010, my right foot started turning purple on the inside (left side of my right foot) around the ankle. The OB/GYN I had during that pregnancy (maybe both pregnancies) said it happens to pregnant women, and I don't remember her giving me the cause, other than pregnancy.

Now pregnant with my fifth child, it's even more purple - I guess you could say the veins are vericose - and some are red, which I think indicates that more blood vessels are breaking (if that's what's happening). I'm not gaining weight too fast, so the only other thing I can think of that I might be doing wrong is standing - and sometimes walking - too much instead of sitting and resting. I don't want this to happen to my left foot, and I'd like to help stop it from getting worse in my right foot. Do you know anything about this / have you any experience with this? I was told I don't have anemia during this pregnancy. It hurts to walk on my right foot today so after I take out the trash with my son and maybe another child and get breakfast started I'll work on sitting more. It's hard to avoid standing and walking sometimes when I have to do things for my family, but I can at least sit in between chores and put my feet up when I'm finally ready for a nap...(no, I'm not able to post a picture of my foot to show you what I mean)

·
Registered
506 Posts
My right outer ankle is also tender & purple. I have varicosities in my ladyhood, varicose veins in my thigh & backside & spider veins all up & down my right calf down to the ankle & the outside of the foot. It tends to be swollen by the end of the day. It's purely genetic. If something hits it, agony ensues. Intimacy requires a half day of elevated bed rest recovery until the engorgement can resolve itself. It is more severe w/ every baby.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry Voondrop. Yours sounds a lot worse than mine!

So other than when you are recovering from intimacy, do you find that sitting down with your foot (feet) up is the most helpful? Anything else?

When it hurts, it hurts even when I'm sitting down, with my feet on the floor. Sitting in my chair in the living room with my feet up on the footrest gives the most relief.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wear a V2 supporter for the upstairs & until I can get compression stockings I just wrap it in an Ace bandage. I do try to sit down w/ my feet up but I think that's contributing more to my weight gain.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My weight isn't going anywhere very quickly and my feet hurt when I'm on my feet long enough to brush my teeth or wash dishes, which isn't very long, so I'm sitting down and putting my feet up more.

For anyone who may also have this problem, here is what was recommended for me:
- sit down with my feet up above my heart (I sit on my chair in the living room with my feet in front of me on the footrest plus 3 pillows, which isn't higher than my heart but they still hurt less than when they're on the floor)
- put books under my side of the bed where my feet go to elevate them during my sleeping hours
- take vitamin C with bioflavenoids
- supplement with blackstrap molasses (which is rich in iron)
- don't cross legs, it is bad for circulation
- bone broth could help the cells in my feet, so I baked a chicken Sunday night and made bone broth from then until tonight:
http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth/
I was also told to put ice on my feet when I put them up, but as they are bare because that gives more relief than wearing socks as I usually do, I only did this for a few seconds with an ice pack wrapped in a towel on top of and then under my feet before my feet were too cold.

Reactions: stegenrae

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Voondrop, can you please recommend a compression stocking? I didn't want to do that, even after you said you were going to, but today I called a nurse because my feet were hurting even when they were up on the footrest and that's one of the things she said to do. She also said she had to do that when she was pregnant and it gave her instant relief. If you have a link, that would help me ask my husband to order it for me. I looked on the Walmart website but I saw something that goes up around the baby, and that's not what I need - I'm pretty sure it would need to go on my feet (the nurse said all of my legs) not necessarily up around the baby.
Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm trying to put a picture up, it's not working for me. I'm sorry but I don't have a compression stocking, I just use a really wide Ace bandage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I guess I have to do it as an attachment, the insert image icon isn't working for me. This is my foot/ leg for comparison, at least the bottom half. It doesn't get prettier the higher you go. My husband said it looks like a makeup job from The Walking Dead, so it got dubbed the zombie leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would wait until it cools off, too, but here in Florida it's hot almost all year, so if I waited that long my baby would be born and I would have been in pain almost the whole time I was waiting. The nurse recommended getting two pairs so I can wear one (while I'm washing the sweat etc. off the other) - she agreed that it's hot when I said "that sounds hot" but she convinced me by saying she wore them and they provided relief and were even comfortable. My hope is that they will even help when I am standing up, like when I wash the dishes, so I won't have to do standing jobs anymore in between sitting down with my feet up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts