Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i'd ask just in case there's anybody else experiencing this, partly to find out if it cured itself, but also to share my (sparse!) knowledge in case, like for me, you are unable to get any answers from health care professionals.<br><br>
i had a toughish birth (baby a bit stuck with arms around her head) which ended in episiotomy. this seemed to heal up quickly with no apparent problems but when we attempted sex after about 6 weeks it was extremely painful and impossible. i was unable to "accommodate" my husband and it felt to me as if i had been sewn up too tight and that intercourse could only take place with painful forcing - obviously this wasn't going to happen.<br><br>
i went to see my obstetrician who said there was nothing wrong with me and it was common for women's genitals to feel more sensitive after birth. but "more sensitive" is worlds apart from the burning pain that i felt. i asked my midwife and a gynaecologist to check me out and they both said the same - nothing physically wrong, must be psychological! this is v disempowering and made me feel as though everyone thought i was making it up.<br><br>
we continued to attempt sex from time to time over the next months and since being told there's no reason why my husband can't "fit in" without me tearing, i've gritted my teeth through the pain to test the problem and i do now accept that it wasn't a problem with the episiotomy and my husband's penis can still fit in. however, it is still VERY painful and my daughter is now 8mo!!<br><br>
i've looked up the problem on the internet and found out that this happens to a lot of women, especially those who breastfeed. (nature's way of ensuring you don't get pregnant again too soon??) apparently hormones alter the vaginal wall which can make it tender and sex painful, but for most women the problem has gone by the baby's first birthday. (fingers crossed!)<br><br>
anyone else have any info/experience?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sex was painful for me for the whole first year, although it sounds like it may not have been as bad as what you are describing. I found I was just really dry and tight. Tons of lube helped us so that it was mostly tolerable for me and then it started to get better. The other thing that helped actually was attempting sex more often. Somehow that made things easier, but it was hard to have uncomforable sex often enough to make it work. My son is just 15 mos now and I've noticed a big change in the past 2 months. I don't feel "normal" yet, but things are way better now as I'm finally making some lubrication myself. Oh and I should mention this was with no episiotomy for me.<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure I can be much help, but I've experienced the same problem. My OB also said the same thing. Do you also experience some discomfort w the internal exam at the dr's office? Perhaps you can identify the pain during the exam. I ended up going to a second OB who found the problem and said it had something to do with the pelvic floor and recommended a specific kind of biofeedback (can't remember what it is called). PM me if you need more info.<br><br>
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Same advice here...use lots of lube.<br><br>
I'm surprised none of the professionals you saw could come up with that one. That's pretty bad as this is a pretty common problem.<br><br>
I hope it helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts