Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sweetest son is in so much pain. We used sposies for the first eight months along with a bottoms up salve my sister made and never once had a rash. Then we switched to cloth and used it for two weeks and no rash. Then he started to get these terrible rashes....sometimes they are many red bumps with open wound areas, and sometimes it is just red but not elevated at all. both times he has gotten them he has also had a little diarhea, he seems to feel fine but poops every hour..which is a lot for a 9 month old. Last time he got this rash we switched back to sposies for a few days and it went away, then we put him back in cloth and it is back with a vengeance. We thought it might be yeast and put a little anti-fungal cream...it got a little better then worse a few hours later. He has been in sposies now for a day it is is even worse, which is a little relief since I love cding adn didnt want to give it up. We have tried the salve that worked for every, a & d, and lotrimin. nothing is working. I used charlies soap but just bought some planet in hopes maybe it is a reaction to charlies soap.<br>
I feel desparate because he poops so much and it hurts him like you would believe to have poop on his bottom and even more to wipe.<br>
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<br>
thanks,<br>
Sarah

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Charlie's soap gave my ds a horrid burn like rash, esp. on his penis. And it was not at first, but after a month or so of using it. Apparently there are other parents out there that have the same problem. My diapers did not seem very clean with Charlies (I have nasty well water), so I don't know if it was because of bacterial buildup in my dipes or if my ds actually started getting sensitive to something in the soap.<br><br>
I would suggest switching detergent right away. Throw your diapers in with some Calgon water softener in a hot wash at least 2 times to strip off any detergent buildup (and I would suggest adding 1/4 cup or so of well diluted bleach to kill any bacteria or yeasties which could be hiding in your cloth). Then try washing with something else that does not have enzymes or brighteners. I would suggest A&H Essentials (found at grocery store and very cheap, Diaper Jungle gives it 4 out of 5 stars for diaper washing). It has worked great for me (but it has a horrid smell that will wash out thankfully).<br><br>
Can you put him in sposies until it clears up, and then try your freshly washed dipes? It really sounds like a detergent issue. Tide also used to do this to my son but now it does not seem to bother him. Only Sportswash and Charlies give him rashes now. But they were really nasty. The end of his penis actually got a scab that had a hard time to heal due to the Charlie's Soap. I really believe it has something to do with my water and not the actual detergent (since so many people have great luck with Charlies).

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I know several babes who just could not wear cloth dipes due even though their mamas tried all sorts of soaps and different rash solutions. They just did not do well in them and rashes went away with disposables. Sorry, but that may be the solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts